Final FarmHouse defendant sentenced in sex extortion case

Courtesy of FarmHouseISU YouTube
A screenshot of the FarmHouse Fraternity on Ash Avenue in Ames taken on July 19, 2023.

Content Warning: This article contains mentions and descriptions of sexual assault and violence.

Colton Moore became the second of three defendants in the FarmHouse sex extortion case to be sentenced after he pleaded guilty to third-degree harassment Wednesday.

According to court records, Moore, a senior in agricultural business, will serve a year of probation and was ordered to pay a $105 fine. He was also charged with extortion and conspiracy to commit a non-forcible felony, although those charges were dismissed.

According to previous reporting by the Daily, Moore was originally charged alongside Grant Kuehnast, a senior in agricultural business, and Tyler Ekstrom, a junior in agricultural business, in May with assault, second-degree harassment and extortion charges. However, some charges were changed as their individual cases progressed through the legal system.

On Jan. 31, 2023, in the FarmHouse Fraternity at 311 Ash Ave., Kuehnast allegedly threatened to shoot another resident of the fraternity with an airsoft gun if he did not commit a specific sex act on Moore. Ekstrom was allegedly standing near the door.

The victim said Kuehnast was slowly counting down from five, telling the victim if he did not follow his commands, he would shoot the victim in the face and groin with the airsoft gun, according to court documents. When the countdown finished, Kuehnast allegedly began firing the gun. The documents did not state if the victim was hit.

After the charges were announced in May, the Iowa State FarmHouse Fraternity Chapter placed all three on inactive status and removed them from residing in the house, according to a post on the FarmHouse Facebook page.

In December, Kuehnast pleaded guilty to first-degree harassment and was sentenced to two years of probation and Ekstrom’s case was dismissed.