How to beat the sophomore slump

Ian Steenhoek

After your freshman year is over and you have returned back to campus after your first summer break, you might fall into what’s called the “sophomore slump.”

It is a period of time where there is an overall lack of motivation for returning students to do anything, whether it be attend classes, do homework, participate in student organizations, or even study. Some may underperform when compared to the previous year.

Some say it is because after your return, the campus is no longer new. It may have lost some of its mystery and grandeur it had the previous year. All the while, freshmen and seniors are getting nearly all of the attention. It is easy to simply feel like a number.

However, many people may not realize they are in a “sophomore slump.” Some may not even know it even exists at all. Once you are able to recognize the characteristics, you can take steps to not fall into the slump.

Fortunately, all it takes to beat the sophomore slump is a little proactivity. Here are some methods that can increase productivity and help you stay motivated.

Get involved:

This is something you’ve probably heard since middle school. That’s because getting involved is one of the best ways to meet people similar to you. These people can become friends and you’ll be able to hang out with them. Getting involved also can help you learn tons of new things, or simply eat up some free time you may have. There are over 850 clubs at Iowa State, ranging from academic and religious organizations to Student Government and ones just for fun.

Do something:

This is very similar to getting involved. This could be doing an internship or a study abroad, or it could getting a job or going to church. This could be learning an instrument or going on a hike. Something you can feel satisfied from completing. Minimizing stress is a key to beating the slump, and being happy is a great way to do so.

Talk with your adviser:

Sometimes it’s easy to feel that your classes are pointless and you’re not learning anything relevant to your major. This is where your adviser comes in. They are a very valuable resource and can help you to understand why certain courses are important to your education. Plus it can motivate you to focus on doing well in classes. Having a personal connection with your adviser helps them to tailor your experience here at Iowa State to make you as successful as possible.

Make new friends:

Tired of hanging with the same people all the time? Tired of your routine of Netflix, Late Night at Convos, and then more Netflix? Make some new friends. Ones outside of your major or one who does different things than you. Trying new things can break the monotony of college life. Who knows, they could turn out to be your new bestie.

Take a fun class:

While studying things relevant to your major is important if you want to get out in four years, sometimes it’s fun to take a random class. It could be a ballet class, or an astronomy class, or agronomy, psychology, so forth. It’s something you can look forward to, and can help introduce you to new people. It also helps break the monotony of classes if they’re all related to your major.

Be proactive:

Hopefully your freshman year taught you how to organize and manage your time. If it hasn’t, it isn’t too late to start. Grab a planner if you haven’t yet, and plan time for classes, socializing, a job and of course, schoolwork. 

The hardest part of beating the sophomore slump is staying motivated. Sometimes stepping out of your comfort zone to stay caught up will be necessary. However, it will help instill a good work ethic for the future, which is important for a career in the future.

Now that you have some ideas on how to stay ahead, have fun your sophomore year. Work hard, but make sure to balance your life to keep stress to a minimum.