Looking Ahead: Men’s Sports

Then-junior Nick Voke practices his chipping Oct. 7, 2015, at the ISU golf facility. 

Isd Sports Staff

Men’s Golf

Andrew Tank’s team graduated three seniors, including All-American Nick Voke. The senior core helped secure a team bid in the 2016 NCAA Championship tournament. Iowa State finished tied for 18th.

The Cyclones lost a large part of the team, but they still have quality golfers. After strong freshman campaigns, Tripp Kinney and Sam Vincent are expected to be groomed into the next crop of leaders.

Wrestling

Iowa State wrestling had a below-average year, finishing 1-12. The lone win came against Northern Colorado. At the end of the season, Kevin Jackson stepped down as head coach. The Cyclones hired Virginia Tech coach and Humboldt, Iowa, native Kevin Dresser.

The Cyclones face multiple roster holes, after graduating 11 seniors. Iowa State rebounded with the #15 ranked recruiting class, according to intermatwrestling.com. Iowa State brought in four recruits: Marcus Coleman, Austin Gomez, Ryan Leisure and Mac Southard. Gomez has shown promise already, coming up one point shy of qualifying for the Junior World Team.

With a new coach and a couple of new faces, Iowa State wrestling might make some noise after a rough 2016.

Men’s Basketball

The Iowa State men’s basketball team made its sixth consecutive trip to the NCAA Tournament in 2016-17. Led by a solid group of seniors — including second round NBA Draft pick Monte Morris — the Cyclones went on a tear to end the season. Iowa State won nine of its final 10 games before the NCAA Tournament, which included a win at No. 2 Kansas and a Big 12 Tournament Championship title.

After the season, six Cyclones graduated and another one — sophomore Simeon Carter — announced he would transfer. But not all was lost.

Donovan Jackson, the hero in the win at Kansas, is back for his senior campaign. Nick Weiler-Babb earned some minutes off the bench last season and will be expected to step into a bigger role next year.

And you can’t forget Lindell Wigginton, a 5-star prospect according to Rivals.com, who is seen as one of the best incoming freshmen in the nation. He led the Canadian U19 team to its first gold medal at the FIBA World Cup in July, thanks to an 11-point, 3-rebound and 3-assist performance in the championship game.

Wigginton isn’t alone. Terrence Lewis is a 4-star prospect, according to 247Sports, and he was the top-rated player in the state of Wisconsin. The duo of Wigginton and Lewis could be one of the most talented freshmen pairs in the nation.

Cyclone fans will get a chance to see the new team square off against a hyped-up Missouri squad in the season opener on November 10 in Columbia, Missouri.

Football

Matt Campbell’s first year as head coach didn’t go quite as planned.

The 3-9 record wasn’t the end of the world; Paul Rhoads wasn’t let go until he went 3-9, 2-10 and 3-9 in three consecutive years, and everyone knew Campbell would have an uphill battle to face with recruiting. But losing to Northern Iowa in the season opener? That’s as bad a start as Campbell could have imagined.

Luckily, the Cyclones gained some momentum before the season ended. Iowa State won two of its final three games, including a 66-10 beatdown of the Texas Tech Red Raiders. Jacob Park threw for more than 350 yards in the season finale against West Virginia, but the Cyclones came up short.

After a great recruiting class, the Cyclones are looking toward a better future in 2017. A bowl game could be on the horizon if things fall into place.

Barring a catastrophe, Allen Lazard will break numerous records next season at wide receiver, including records for career receptions and career receiving yards. The record for career receiving touchdowns might be out of reach, since Lazard needs 15 more trips to the endzone to match Todd Blythe’s school record of 31.

With offensive firepower that includes Jacob Park, Allen Lazard, David Montgomery, Mike Warren and Deshaunte Jones, points and yards won’t be hard to come by. The problem could be the defense, which replaces a number of key performers, such as Jhaustin Thomas and Demond Tucker on the defensive line.

If the defense can get off the field, Iowa State fans could find themselves on a beach in California or Florida in late December.

Track+Field/Cross Country

Iowa State had a number of great performers during the 2016-17 school year, including some Big 12 champions and All-Americans.

The most prominent was women’s long jumper Jhoanmy Luque. Luque, a native of Venezuela, was named Iowa State Female Athlete of the Year after her record-setting year.

On the final jump of the Big 12 Outdoor Championships, Luque leapt from third place to first place in the triple jump with a jump of 45-3 ½. That jump won her the conference title. Additionally, Luque set a Venezuelan national record in the long jump with a leap of 21-7 ¼, which also set a school record.

The 2017-18 men’s and women’s seasons kick off September 1 in Iowa City, Iowa, at the Hawkeye Invitational. Iowa State will also compete at the Roy Griak Invitational in Minnesota and the Nuttycombe Wisconsin Invitational before taking part in the Big 12 postseason.

Iowa State will also host the 2017 NCAA Midwest Regional on November 10.