Joining the music program

Maggie Curry

NOTE: This would probably work best as a flow chart or something.

Music ensembles on campus aren’t just for music majors.

Interested in joining a choir at Iowa State, or the pride of the Cyclones – the Varsity Marching Band? What about ISU Orchestra? Auditions will happen the week before fall semester, so you have the summer to prepare.

STEP ONE: Sign up for the right class ahead of time, so you don’t have to redo your schedule if you make it.

I want to be in a choir

Iowa State Singers Mixed Choir : Music 161

Cantamus Women’s Choir : Music 151A

Statesmen Men’s Choir : Music 151B

Lyrica Women’s Choir : Music 141

I want to be in orchestra

For orchestra: Music 181

I want to be in a band

Concert Band: Music 112A

Campus Band: Music 112B

Symphonic Band: Music 115

Wind Ensemble: Music 111

Marching Band: Music 114A

Jazz I: Music 113A

Jazz II: Music 113B

Jazz combos: Music 321

STEP TWO: Practice and prepare your materials over the summer.

I want to be in a choir

For choral ensembles, students who want to join a select ensemble should prepare a piece ahead of time.

I want to be in orchestra

For ISU Orchestra, students need to apply online on the music website (music.iastate.edu) and download the music audition packet on the Orchestra’s page.

I want to be in a band

For concert and symphonic bands, students should prepare one or more etudes or solo works that display different styles – one slow and lyrical, one faster, with more technical ability.

There is no audition for membership into the Concert Band, a perfect spot for new instrumentalists.

Percussionists should visit the band page on the music website to find audition materials for the concert and symphonic bands.

For the ISUCF’V’MB (Iowa State University Cyclone Football Varsity Marching Band) separate audition materials based on instrument are available online, including etudes and the fight song, which must be memorized. There will also be a marching audition from techniques learned during camp, so build up your endurance over the summer.

Drumline offers camps once every two weeks leading up to auditions for potential drummers. This year’s dates are not yet released.

Those interested in jazz ensembles should prepare a piece that demonstrates to the faculty their best playing. The selection is entirely up to the student and can consist of, but is not limited to, a classical solo or the head from a jazz standard, a play-along CD, or an original composition, according to the jazz band website. Jazz drummers will be asked to read and play appropriate grooves in swing, Latin, funk/rock, and demonstrate their ability to play drum fills.

STEP THREE: Arrive on campus ready for auditions. Visit Music Hall – it has it’s own bus stop even. Practice rooms are located in the basement, and you can find your audition sign up sheet.

I want to be in a choir

Choral audition sign-up sheets will be posted in Music Hall room 130 for auditions. The auditions on Aug. 18-20 are seven minutes each, with sight-reading and some tonal exercises.

I want to be in orchestra

Orchestra audition sign-up sheets are posted inside Music Hall on the Orchestra’s bulletin board beginning Aug. 15.

I want to be in a band

A sign-up sheet for the seven-minute auditions will be posted Aug. 14 on the band bulletin board. Brass auditions will be held throughout the day on Monday, Aug. 21. Woodwind auditions will be held throughout the day on Tuesday, Aug. 22.

Percussion auditions will be held on Monday evening, August 21 – and there will be a sign-up sheet for these auditions posted on the percussion bulletin board Aug. 14.

Marching Band separates newcomers into two categories: wind instrument, or drumline and guard.

For wind instruments the band will host a fundamentals camp beginning Tuesday, Aug. 15, with move-in and a welcome meeting for potential new members on Aug. 14. Wind instrument auditions for the group begin Wednesday, Aug. 16.

For drumline and guard, move in is Aug. 13, with auditions that night form 7-10 p.m.

Jazz band auditions are in two rounds, with the preliminary round the Sunday before classes begin – Aug. 20. Students will improvise B-flat or F blues with a play-along CD, play a prepared piece and demonstrate sight-reading. 

The results from the first round will be posted on the bulletin board outside room 245. Those students will continue for the second round of auditions on Aug. 21.

Questions?

Symphony contact:

Dr. Jacob Harrison

515-294-3978 

[email protected]

Band contact:

Choir contact:

For Iowa State Singers & Statesmen

Dr. James Rodde

[email protected]

(515) 294-0395

For Cantamus & Lyrica

Kathleen Rodde

[email protected]

(515) 294-7447