Mike Warren named USA Today Freshman All-American

Max Goldberg/Iowa State Daily

Running back Mike Warren runs the ball into the end zone for a touchdown in the first quarter against No. 3 TCU on Oct. 17 at Jack Trice Stadium.

Luke Manderfeld

Just a day after ISU running back Mike Warren grabbed Big 12 Offensive Freshman of the Year, he grabbed yet another accolade. 

Warren was named to USA Today’s Freshman All-American team on Thursday, one of two players on the list from the Big 12. 

After seeing limited action in the first two games of the 2015 season, Warren ran for 126 yards in his first start against Toledo. His biggest game came against Texas Tech, when he amassed a career-high 245 yards.

Warren, a Lawton, Okla., native, finished his season with 1,339 yards, which ranks fifth all-time at Iowa State and third-best in Big 12 history by a freshman.  

He has set a lofty goal for himself next season, putting the bar at 2,000 rushing yards. Only 14 college football running backs have surpassed that mark, including former ISU running back Troy Davis, who did it in back-to-back years in 1995 and 1996. 

“[I need to do] a whole lot more than I did this year,” Warren said after getting his Big 12 individual award on Wednesday. “I want to put more weight on [and] run through more tackles. Definitely just get bigger in the offseason and just be a bigger guy and more of a threat to people.”