Duct tape fashion show canceled

Shelby Schmidt shows off her winning design at the University Book Store on Oct. 30, 2011.

Courtesy of Iowa State University Bookstore

Erin Dungan

The fifth annual Duct Tape Fashion Show that was scheduled to showcase designs Thursday at the University Book Store has been canceled because of minimal interest. Coordinator Amy DeLashmutt seeks eight to 10 designers each year who are interested in competing to create wearable, duct tape garments.

Participants are welcome in teams of one or two, and students of any major can join.

The University Book Store provides complimentary duct tape rolls to participants, but any additional rolls needed must be purchased by the students. Additionally, strict guidelines are laid out that participants must follow.

While the garments must be made entirely of duct tape, fasteners and closures can be added for extra support. Velcro and zippers are among the closures that are approved for usage. Other simple garments, like T-shirts, may be used to help construct the garment, but they must be covered entirely by duct tape before submission.

The garments are judged on creativity, use of duct tape, workmanship and originality. Best in show awards are given to first, second and third place winners. People’s choice is also awarded.

“The duct tape fashion show is about fun and showcasing student talent,” DeLashmutt said. “The first year we had the show we were so amazed at the fashions students had created. It’s just a fun way to interact with the store on a whole different level and not just through purchasing.”

Previous participants found the competition to be a fun learning experience, where both time management and originality were tested.

After receiving duct tape from the University Book Store, designers in the past have had a week to complete the fashions before submitting. Once they’re submitted, little alterations can be made before the day of the fashion show.

Although the show has been cancelled this semester, DeLashmutt hopes to try again in the spring. A date has not been scheduled.