Harrison Barnes returns to Ames with championship trophy

Former Ames High School star and current NBA champion Harrison Barnes led the Ames 4th of July Parade as grand marshal on Saturday. Barnes and his teammates won back-to-back 4A state basketball titles in 2009 and 2010.

Luke Manderfeld

It was a picture-perfect day for the Fourth of July parade in downtown Ames on Saturday morning.

But for much of the crowd it wasn’t the weather that brought them to the parade. It was native son and NBA champion Harrison Barnes’ return to Ames to serve as the grand marshal that brought out droves of fans and admirers, including Mayor Ann Campbell, who bestowed the key to the City of Ames onto Barnes.

Barnes is the first Ames High School alumnus to win an NBA title. 

“It is really special,” Barnes said of the parade. “Just because the people in Ames have supported me, people in Iowa have supported me since day one. … It’s nice to hit the highest point in your sport and come back to your hometown to be able to celebrate.”

And celebrate it did.

Throughout the crowd, Barnes heard many voices shouting “we love you” and “congratulations.” He returned many of the compliments with a smile and a thank you. 

Barnes, along with high school teammate and current Chicago Bull Doug McDermott, led Ames High School to consecutive 4A state titles in 2009 and 2010. In his senior season, Barnes averaged 26.1 points, 10 rebounds, 3.1 steals and 3.0 assists per game on his way to earning first-team All-American honors by USA Today. 

After the parade, Barnes met with his fans for a photo shoot with the trophy. The line wrapped around the corner at Ames City Hall.

“I’m not sure if I will get to everyone,” Barnes said with a laugh. “But it will definitely be cool for everyone to get close and touch it.”

For Barnes’ busy day coming home, his favorite moment was showing the trophy to the people that have supported him throughout his basketball career.

“Just allowing all of my friends and family to see [the trophy],” Barnes said. “I mean, it’s one thing to take a picture with everyone and ask ‘oh, how’s the trophy? Is it heavy? What’s it feel like?

“But now, here’s your moment to take a picture and pick it up and have that moment for life.”

Barnes averaged 10.6 points and 5.2 rebounds per game in the Warriors’ playoff run, but many may remember one of his best moments where Barnes led the charge in Game 5 of the NBA Western Conference Finals.

Barnes dropped 24 points, 13 of which came in the fourth quarter, to help Golden State advance to the NBA Finals against the Cleveland Cavaliers.

“That was definitely one of my better games,” Barnes said. “We needed someone to step up. I tried to come out and be aggressive.”

Barnes said he is in charge of handling the trophy and protecting it. Next the trophy will go to Warrior guard Shaun Livingston in Peoria, Ill. 

“It’ll be making it around until it reaches everyone’s home,” Barnes said.