ISU point guard Nakiah Bell to transfer

Kelby Wingert/Iowa State Daily

Freshman guard Nakiah Bell runs the ball down the court during the 2015 Big 12 Championship quarterfinal game against Oklahoma State in Dallas, Texas. The Cyclones fell to the Cowgirls 67-58.

Ryan Young

ISU women’s basketball coach Bill Fennelly announced on Monday that freshman point guard Nakiah Bell is transferring.

Bell played in 28 games for the Cyclones last season, averaging 8.4 minutes per game. She averaged just 1.2 points and 1.3 assists per game last season, however.

“We all appreciate the effort that Nakiah gave us this season,” Fennelly said in a release. “We wish her all the best in the future.”

Bell, a native of Florissant, Mo., was a four-year letter winner at Incarnate Word Academy. She scored over 1,200 points throughout her high school career and led Incarnate Word to three state championships.

“I have enjoyed my time at Iowa State and a few of the moments and memories I will always cherish are beating Texas on national television and being able to experience the NCAA Tournament,” Bell said. “I am thankful for the time I had with my teammates and I am going to miss them all. I also want to thank the coaching staff for being very helpful and encouraging me.”