Walk-on capitalizes on opportunities during spring football season

Redshirt junior running back Mitchell Harger breaks away for a touchdown during Iowa State’s spring game at Jack Trice Stadium on Saturday, April 11.

Ryan Young

For any walk-on, the road to earning playing time on Saturdays in the fall is that much harder than a scholarship player.

But running back Mitchell Harger is getting his chance, and he isn’t going to let it go to waste. Harger, a redshirt junior from Alburnett, Iowa, joined the Cyclones in 2012 for one reason and one reason only: he just loved football.

“I’m a small town Iowa kid that loves to play football,” Harger said. “I just want to show everyone in the state of Iowa that it doesn’t matter where you come from, you can still make it to the big leagues.”

Harger left Alburnett High School as the Iowa Class 1A Player of the Year after rushing for more than 2,700 yards and 40 touchdowns. Upon joining the Cyclones, however, he has encountered difficulties getting to the field.

Last season, Harger began to get a glimpse of hope. He played in four games in 2014, mainly for special teams, and recorded two tackles.

But this spring, coaches have started to see improvement from Harger. They quickly moved him to running back and started giving him reps with the second-team offense.

And at a running back position that is hurting for players, Harger’s arrival couldn’t have come at a better time.

Earlier in the spring, sophomore running back Martinez Syria fell to injury, leaving redshirt sophomore Tyler Brown and redshirt freshman Mike Warren competing for the top spot.

So in comes Harger with the second-team offense, giving him the opportunity he has been waiting for.

“I couldn’t be happier,” Harger said. “I was just kind of waiting for my chance to shine. I knew I’d take advantage of it when it came.”

Harger got another chance to shine last weekend when Iowa State hosted its annual spring game. Harger, who ran mostly with the second-team offense, recorded 13 carries for 42 yards, the second highest on the team.

But when the 2015 season arrives in the fall, offensive coordinator Mark Mangino said he doesn’t know how much Harger will actually see the field. But for Mangino one thing is certain — he’s happy Harger is on his football team.

“Mitch Harger is just an overachiever. He’s a great kid to have on your team,” Mangino said. “He tries hard and makes some runs. He’s not the fastest guy we have, but sometimes he’ll pick his way and put his pads down. … He’s a good guy to have on your team because he’s a good example of a guy who really cares about playing.”