Bring Grammy fashion to Campus

Mariah Wellman

Millions watched the Grammys on Feb. 8 as they experienced the power of truly amazing music, along with truly amazing fashion and beauty. Many of these choices may seem out of the box, but don’t be afraid to take inspiration from the Grammy celebrities and sport them on campus. 

Presenting the first award of the night, Best New Artist, was Taylor Swift rocking an Elie Saab teal gown fit for a mermaid. The teal ensemble’s shape was a mini-dress complete with a double strap across the shoulders and a pleated floor-length skirt starting around her waist. Swift’s short do had the perfect amount of texture, something perfect for campus. Her messy do is the perfect second-day hairstyle for early mornings on campus. Try her aquamarine eyeliner on your lower water line for an added pop of color in your beauty routine. 

Ariana Grande walked the red carpet smoothly in classic white. Grande’s white and metallic Versace ensemble with high half-up ponytail was the perfect amount of chic and playful. Take tips from Grande: use your thumbs and run them up from behind your ears to the top of your crown, gathering the hair as you go. Wear it messy or comb it down, tying it off with a hair elastic. Go the extra mile and wrap a small piece of hair from underneath around the elastic, hiding it from sight. Take after Grande and don white in winter. White with metallics and pastels will take you from winter to spring. 

Anna Kendrick worked an all-black suit on the red carpet. Take notes from Kendrick and don’t be afraid to wear black-on-black. Play around with texture and combine black jeans, a black blazer and a black silk top. Complete the look with dainty jewelry, or none at all. When wearing dark colors like Kendrick, keep the hair and makeup simple. Kendrick’s nude lips were the perfect addition to her Grammy ensemble. 

Perhaps the biggest shock of the night was Sia and her “muse”, 12-year-old Maddie Ziegler. Sia, notorious for hiding her identity in both her music videos and on the red carpet, sported a 3-foot-wide white shoulder-length wig with long bangs hiding everything but the tip of her nose and bright red lips. Ziegler rocked a similar wig, with her face showing and nude lipstick. Hiding your face during class might not be the best tip to take from Sia, but the wig color is. If your hair is naturally lighter blonde, slowly transition to a white, or even silver color. The hue is on trend for women and men of all ages, and looks perfect with lighter complexions and blue, green and hazel eye colors.