Healthy ways to manage stress

Bailey Brooker

Stress impacts everybody in a number of ways, but can be especially hard on college students. Between school, work, money problems and relationships, college students need to learn how to deal with stress so they can enjoy the best years of their life.

“[Stress] is a subjective feeling where a person is unable to handle an event in life,” said Dr. Alison Phillips, Health Psychology professor at Iowa State. Stress can be caused by a number of things. “Anything can be a stressor and it is different for each person.”

Stressors, or events that cause stress, are negative and positive events that a person is unable to handle. Stressors can range from organizing a birthday party, learning to ride a bike, or writing a term paper.

In moderation, a certain amount of stress can be a good thing. It can make us work harder and improve.

Remember trying to find your way around campus during the first week of school? It was most likely stressful. Now that you are more familiar with campus, navigating it is no longer stressful. 

If stress is not handled properly and in a timely manner, it could turn into the more serious condition known as chronic stress. Left untreated, chronic stress can have a significant impact on your physical health.

“[Chronic stress] decreases your ability to sleep and relax,”  Phillips said. “Your sympathetic nervous system is overactive and your body does not heal.”

The body can only cope with this condition for so long before sickness arises.

If your stress level becomes too much to cope with, there are a variety of things you can do to manage the level.

Exercising, eating healthy most of the time and deep breathing or belly breathing can be good ways to calm down the body.

“Talking to a friend or family, spending time outdoors …,” is what Dr. Tiffany Iskander, a psychologist for Iowa State Student Counseling Services, suggests when asked about healthy ways to relax.

Not only getting social support, but also giving social support can help manage stress.

Stress affects everyone differently, so it’s important to recognize the symptoms. Some of the symptoms include trouble concentrating, changes in appetite and sleeping patterns, headaches and even sadness.

When school, work, money problems and relationship issues seem to be building up, students need to be conscious of their stress levels. Be aware of your stressors and know that you can handle them. Whether it be talking to a friend or going for a run, college students need to relieve stress and enjoy the best years of their life.