Transitional pieces for the winter months

With just a couple simple wardrobe changes, students can go straight from class to a night out with friends.

Brittany Moon

Versatility is something that some students look for when shopping for any clothing item. While students may ask themselves if a piece of clothing or accessory can be worn for multiple occasions before buying, some students might also purchase pieces on a whim. 

In college, students have many things on their minds and have busy schedules so changing clothes to make something appropriate for that occasion may not be a priority. Having clothing pieces that are easily transitional from day to night, or class to going out, is a must.

Rather than changing an entire outfit, one could simple swap out three casual items for dressier ones and be ready for a night on the town.

For women, a casual and comfy outfit for a day of classes starts with a classic jegging, or jean-legging. Layering a graphic tee on top with a catchy saying or decor, like sequins, can add to the outfit. Layering a cardigan over the top can add extra warmth during the cold months. Finally comes the accessories. A simple dainty gold or silver necklace is easily transitional along with riding boots and diamond stud earrings. A simple makeup look with a nude lip may be a great option for class and running errands. 

The three items most easily swapped out for the largest change in look are as follows. The first change would be the footwear. Rather than a riding boot, don a classic pump for an elegant and classy look. One could also trade out the cardigan for something a bit fancier. A fur vest or leather jacket would keep one warm and fashionable. Finally, to fully transition a look from day to evening would be to alter the lip color. Change the nude lip for daytime into a bold, dramatic look for night. Popular winter lip colors might include a bold red or a sultry plum. 

For men, a basic winter look might be best. With a day full of classes and walking across campus, opt for a beanie or other hat. Beanies can very easily be thrown on without looking sloppy. A basic plain or graphic tee works well for layering in the winter. Layering a red flannel-style button down over it adds warmth. Men can also sport a sweatshirt, cardigan or zip-up hoodie, whatever fits best into their personal style. To finish it off, a basic dark-wash jean and brown casual boots make for a great school daytime outfit. 

The transitions for men can be very simple. Step one would be to remove the beanie and style the hair as needed. Taking the beanie off removes one of the more casual pieces. Next, would be to remove the top layer and replace it with a jacket. A leather jacket may be the perfect fabric to take this look to the next level. Lastly, swap out the rustic brown boots for a dressier leather-style boot to elevate the outfit from day to evening.

Versatility in a wardrobe is one of the keys to successful outfits. Confidence is another. Everyone’s personal style is different and transitioning outfits can take practice. Having pieces that transition and carry over from day to evening effortlessly will exponentially expand one’s closet, and with time, students can be transitioning professionals.