Fashion Week kicks off at Iowa State

Stephanie Noble

The Fashion Show is an annual, entirely student-run event taking place this Saturday, April 13, 2013.

The concept was born in a classroom some 31 years ago, “[It’s] an opportunity for apparel students to show off their talent and what skills they have to the entire [ISU] community,” according to Hannah Sinclair, the marketing and public relations co-director.

There will be 100 garments in the show designed by ISU students. Katie Pernula, Sinclair’s co-director in marketing and public relations, highlighted the usual guest list.

“The show often attracts several alums who show their support,” Pernula said, as alumni often give financial donations and also product donations.

Last year, ISU alumni Linda and Kim Renk donated bracelets from their brand Sequin, a jewelry studio that designs for brands like Badgley Mischka.

This year, ”an alumna has donated make-up from the Cassanova line for giveaways,” Pernula said.

The show has sold more than 1,500 tickets so far, but there is still time to get yours from either Ticketmaster or directly at Stephens Auditorium, with prices beginning at $16 for ISU students. All of the profits generated are used to improve and promote the show.

Starting today is ISU Fashion Week, and on the central campus lawn there will be a new event each day.

Monday’s event is a free Dunkin Donut and coffee giveaway from 8 to 11 a.m.

On Tuesday you can chill out with a Coldstone treat and get your picture taken in the photobooth between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.

On Wednesday between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. you can get free Papa Johns pizza and watch a DubH dance show.

Come on Thursday between 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. for a free concert featuring Chelsey Reuse and Abhi Pant.

Friday you should keep an eye on the Facebook page for some awesome giveaways on the last day before the show.