New president and new senate meet

Spencer Hughes, junior in speech communication, gives his first address as president of the Government of the Student Body on April 8, 2013.

Charles O'Brien

A new senate and president came together for the first time during the new session of the Government of the Student Body.

Spencer Hughes, junior in speech communication, began his presidency by addressing the senate. He introduced his nominees for his executive cabinet, talking about how the upcoming fall semester will bring another record setting enrollment year and about current problems with the GSB website.

The senate meeting consisted of approving Hughes’ nominees for his cabinet, a new speaker and vice speaker of the senate and other chair committee positions. They also discussed the “Meet Your Government Day 2013” bill, which passed.

The senate approved all 15 recommended nominees for Hughes’ cabinet. Two positions that were repeatedly questioned prior to the approving process were for the director and assistant director of Ambassadors; Shannon Goes and Kenton Betz.

One senator, Nate Byro, questioned the experience of the two directors and their lack of work with the Ambassadors. Goes and Betz both stated that they had had no previous experience or relation with the ISU Ambassadors.

Besides approving the executive cabinet; the senate approved Daniel Rediske as the new finance director, Gabby Williams as the speaker of the Senate and Barry Snell as the vice speaker of the Senate.