Ultra Violet Fashion Show

Anna Mackin

The Sigma Kappa sorority here at Iowa State hosted their annual Ultra Violet Fashion Show and Silent Auction at the Alumni Center Friday night.

As student musicians Jordan Garvey and The Real Quaid kept the atmosphere alive, a series of student designers’ work and clothing from local boutiques Ayden Lee and accessories from Lyla’s Boutique hit the runway.

The semi-formal philanthropic event raised money benefitting the Sigma Kappa Foundation. All proceeds made went towards Alzheimer’s Research, the Maine Sea Coast Mission, and Gerontology.

Student designers had a variety of reasons to submit their work to the show’s judged component.

“It’s a really cool cause,” said Gracie Bojorques, senior in apparel merchandising and design. “My Grandpa had Alzheimer’s and recently passed away so I’m really happy I can do what I love to help fundraise for further research.”

The student designers were judged among four industry professionals including one ISU faculty member, Elena Karpova, associate professor in Apparel, Events, and Hospitality Management.

“I think it is a great opportunity and exposure for our students,” Karpova said. “I wish there were more designers in our program that would get involved in this show. I was very proud of the quality and designs of our students work shown tonight, and I think it not only supports a great cause but also a great addition to their resumes and portfolios.”

Through the judging process, Annie Probst, junior in apparel merchandising and design, took home the first place award with a long purple ruffled dress, and ISU alumnus of the apparel design program Brandt Schumacher’s light cocktail dress won the people’s choice award through a text message survey.

Though the night was one of glamour and fashion, even the music believed in the greater power of the philanthropic event.

“We love fashion, but really we love performing and doing what we can to help with this great cause,” a The Real Quaid musician said. “As we understand it, people need help, and we want to be the ones to help them.”

Jamie Leistikow, junior in apparel merchandising and design, was the Ultra Violet Campaign Chair and the one who made this whole event possible.

“This event is something that has always been of interest to me,” Leistikow said, “and it was such a blast last year that I thought I could put on a really great show this year to make it even better. I love the band and the excitement of the models walking down the runway, and it is just so much fun as the crowd gets into it as we raise money towards the foundation.”