Letter to the editor: Knight, Brown make promises they can keep for GSB

Jared Knight

If you’ve heard of the Government of the Student Body, you probably think of it as the group that gives money to clubs. That’s how most people see GSB, and it’s one of the most visible things that GSB does. In fact, if you sit in on a senate meeting or read the Iowa State Daily’s articles about GSB, you might think it’s just about the only thing GSB does.

That’s only half the story, though. The senate distributes funds and helps groups get what they need for improvements and hasn’t done too much more. The executive branch, on the other hand, has been working all year on projects that affect students — you just probably haven’t heard about them.

Unlike those who are long on talk but short on action, we have a long list of accomplishments from this past year. As members of the executive branch, we built the DZ triangle in the greek community, revised the Dead Week policy, started a peer-to-peer group to lower student debt and stopped student fees from increasing. Even now, we’re starting new projects in the areas of veterans’ affairs and are working on an iPhone/Android app for students.

In addition to having experience in GSB, we maintain active involvement in clubs outside of GSB. We aren’t delusional about GSB’s role in the university. Instead of viewing it as the pinnacle of campus leadership and involvement, we see GSB as an organization that works for and with students.

This year, we’ve been focused on making everyone’s experience better, and as president and vice president, we’ll do the same. Rather than forming committees to talk about problems, we prefer to get to work on them right away. Rather than changing our message based on what we think you want to hear, we will tell you where we stand and what we believe. Rather than focusing on providing a better experience to members of GSB, we’ll work hard to provide a better experience for all students.

We won’t promise you anything we can’t deliver, and we won’t stop working until our promises are fulfilled. If you want real solutions then vote Knight-Brown on Monday and Tuesday.