Letter to the editor: Students should support free CyRide fares for K-12 students

File photo: Iowa State Daily

CyRide’s increase in fare for all riders other than students can cause repercussions for the community. With the recent shooting down of provided fare free riding for K-12 students, the Ames community has marginalized its riders.

Bob Bourne

Many ISU students have families with children, either as single parents, married or in long-term committed relationships. The recent fare increase on CyRide will have a negative impact on these students’ families. While the ISU student in the family can ride free, often the other adult and all of the children are required to pay a fare, and now they have to pay more.

The ISU students on the CyRide Transit Board had an opportunity during the fare increase hearings to step forward and support free rides proposed for K-12 students riding CyRide. But they did nothing. While K-12 free rides should not be completely supported by the Government of the Student Body transit fee, a portion of the $30,000 cost could have been offered in negotiation with the city representatives on the Transit Board. If the GSB representatives had offered $5,000 to $10,000 and challenged the city to provide the remaining funds, the added financial stress on students with families might have been reduced. The city representatives took no initiative to fund the program, and the students on the transit board could have been leaders in the discussion on funding the program.

It was a great opportunity to provide social benefits at a minimal cost to the GSB CyRide fund, but the students chose to sit on their hands and do nothing. The GSB transit trust fund is worth more than $1,000,000, and the extra funds for free K-12 rides might deplete the fund sometime in the next century (sarcasm intended).

My guess is that the students either are just showing what conservative spending looks like, or maybe they were just afraid to negotiate with the city representatives. It’s a great lesson for the future and a part of the GSB legacy this year. Sit on your money while fellow students with families who may be struggling financially will have to dig a little deeper to get their family around town. Actually, it is a pretty sad legacy.