Orientation Guide: Move in guide for parents

Noah Cary/Iowa State Daily

Adrianna Huff, freshman in elementary education, checks out her dorm for the first time on move-in day.

Sage Smith

When transitioning to college, the focus is centered on the student and rightfully so. However, parents are often forgotten. Moving the students in takes time and the parents have to endure the stress, as well.

There’s not much of a guide out there for the parents. It’s even more difficult if it’s the oldest child. Other factors can contribute to a chaotic move-in, such as more than one child going off to college at a time or the student is the first in the family to attend college.

“Having two freshman move in at the same time was the hardest part for us,” said Kris Ratigan, mother of Nicholas Ratigan, freshman in supply chain management, and Jordan Ratigan, freshman in kinesiology and health. “Yes, emotionally but also dividing our time between both move-ins.”

Parents can hit roadblocks when helping their children pack for college. There are so many lists of what to bring out there, but how do the parents know what their child will actually need?

Every parent wants the best for their child; they want to help make the packing and moving process as smooth as possible.

Another problem is that the whole point of college is for the student to finally have their freedom. When it comes to the dorm room the students often get frustrated with their parents.

“It’s difficult to allow your kid to organize ‘their’ own space without input,” Ratigan said.

Moving the students in can be painless with guidance. It’s important for the parents to be prepared. Knowing what to pack is helpful and there are plenty of suggestions and tips for future college parents.

“I would say to stick to basics for what to bring,” said Diana Boeding, mother of daughter Katelyn Boeding, a freshman majoring in pre-business. “Dorm rooms are small and you can shop over the first weekend before classes start. And maybe get a good desk light.”

Packing is a huge aspect of the move-in process but something else to keep in mind is the timing. Move-in days are hectic, and there are a ton of other students and parents.

“Go early. Move in,”  Ratigan said. “If the kids want, give them some space, then gather back together for some family time and food.”

The exit after the move in can also take a toll. The physical aspect calms down once everything is organized and put away. Then the tears begin.

“Definitely have an exit plan, make sure everyone is aware for the emotional part,” Ratigan said.