RideShare available to Iowa State students

Krupali Desai

Students who commute can now look up and offer rides on the new and improved RideShare online board, sponsored by Government of the Student Body.

GSB decided to make it more convenient for ISU students and staff to find a carpool by setting up a website that allows individuals to search existing carpools.

“GSB had started the RideShare system online since 2006 that people in the university could use,” said James Parrott, GSB director of information technology and senior in computer engineering. “But that wasn’t secure or reliable. Anyone could access the page and post ride offers.”

A bill was proposed in 2009 to make the website more secure by allowing only people with university net IDs to log on and post ride offers and requests.

Many students feel better about using the service knowing that personal information won’t be shared with those outside the ISU community. 

“I think it’s a good thing,” said Allison Penttila, sophomore in pre-business. “I like having to log in and knowing that only ISU students can see my contact information.”

“It makes it safer,” said Amanda McWherter, junior in management.

“I’m really glad they set it up finally,” said Madison Romano, senior in apparel, merchandising and design. “Before it was either Craigslist or nothing.”

The RideShare website has two links: one for carpool, which is for those who commute; and one for RideShare, which is for one-time trips.

“It’s user-friendly,” Penttila said. “You don’t have to be a rocket scientist to use it.”

Students can tighten their budgets by traveling or commuting with others.

“Whoever I share rides with, we can trade off driving. That way we save money on gas,” McWherter said, who commutes from Des Moines.

Along with saving money, RideShare users may experience additional benefits.

“It’d be a little bit nicer ride. You get to have company while driving and split gas money,” Romano said.

RideShare opened Nov. 1. So far, there are 11 carpools and two listings offering RideShare.

“Since it just started, not many people use it,” said Sakthi Vijayakumar, graduate research assistant in food science and human nutrition. “Once it becomes popular, more people will use it for more places.”