GSB thanks leaving members, welcomes incoming leaders

Kyle Ferguson

The executives of the 2007-08 Government of the Student Body were sent out in style at an inauguration dinner Tuesday night.

Tahira Hira, executive assistant to the president and the keynote speaker, said the university administration was very appreciative of what GSB has done this year.

“You are what make us proud of Iowa State,” she said. “It almost takes an addiction to the university and students to be here.”

In his farewell address, Ian Guffy, former GSB vice president and senior in computer science, said he felt the organization accomplished its main goals of improving Campustown, communication between students and the cost of education.

“Campustown is the number-one priority of the city right now,” he said. “Also, with the lobbying efforts of last year and our own efforts, this year we had the lowest tuition increase in 20 years. All these things took everyone working together, which is something we haven’t seen for a while.”

Brian Phillips, former GSB president and senior in political science, focused his farewell address on some of the more memorable pieces of advice he received while in office.

“Early on, I had the chance to meet with Mrs. Geoffroy,” he said. “She said to me, ‘So you’re the new GSB president? Don’t mess up.'”

The torches were passed to GSB President Daniel Fischer, senior in agricultural business, and GSB Vice President Maggie Luttrell, senior in history. In his acceptance speech, Fischer outlined the purpose and one of the main goals of GSB for the coming year.

“Our mission is to strengthen the voices and experiences of students here at Iowa State,” he said. “Student debt is a huge problem that needs to be addressed, and we need to let the Board of Regents know what we want to do about it.”

Fischer said the main goals of GSB this year may sound similar to those of previous years but that the similarities aren’t a concern.

“The main issues don’t really change too much,” he said.

Luttrell gave a more abstract address and elaborated on how majoring in history will help her in office.

“Our generation has a different route to equality and action that some mislabel as student apathy,” she said. “Being here and doing what we do shows that we care about the future and that we want to make a difference on campus.”

Both finished their addresses with statements for the future.

“This group’s task is vital to students,” Luttrell said.

Fischer finished with a line that was one of the quotes Phillips remembered most from his time as president.

“I’m really excited,” Fischer said. “I look forward to working with you all.”