Forum brings many voices together to discuss fences

Ross Boettcher

Students, faculty and staff brought their ideas to an open forum Tuesday and discussed the controversial issue of fences and cowpaths on campus.

The forum, hosted by Government of the Student Body Director of Student Affairs Ian Ringgenberg, senior in anthropology, uncovered a handful of issues that may be supplementing the development of paths that negatively affect the aesthetics of Iowa State’s Central Campus.

Some of the issues that were discussed included the speed with which students need to get to class, the locations of CyRide bus stops, the activities of bicyclists on campus and the cultural integrity of what GSB Senator Taleen Brady, senior in psychology, said was “the equivalent of walking on somebody’s front lawn.”

“I don’t like the cowpaths on campus at all, and I do agree that we shouldn’t be cutting across campus, but I don’t want students to be totally discouraged from spending time out on Central Campus altogether,” Brady said. “I do think of Central Campus as my yard here on campus and, naturally, I would like people playing in my yard.”

Faculty members, including Tom Hill, vice president for student affairs, and Warren Madden, vice president for business and finance, made it clear that the university is taking an active role in the issue.

Hill said, instead of waiting around for a group to congregate with the same feelings, they should contact a faculty member so the issue can be heard by everyone instead of merely floating around the student population.

Hill also said that, instead of relying on pavement and sidewalks to create the necessary walking paths, staff should look into ways to use a more natural approach.

“We don’t want this university to become an urban campus,” Hill said.

“Here at Iowa State, we’re known for growing things, not mixing concrete – we grow things.”

Madden added that the biggest problem is in keeping students engaged in discussions regarding certain issues and forums similar to the one hosted Tuesday are the correct way to address the matter.

Catherine Brown, campus planner for facilities planning and management, said the issue of cowpaths on campus dates back to the late-1800s, and it has been a problem that has continued to rear its head throughout history.

“Over the years, I do think we have done things to help students get across campus quicker, including CyRide and expanded bike paths,” Brown said. “I would say that many campuses have the same problems we do. The difference is that a lot of campuses are tighter than here at ISU and don’t have all the green space.”

Madden addressed the financial issue of making repairs and the needs of the campus landscape and said that, if everyone makes an effort, it is something that will help change itself.

“As students, you pay for all of this – the cost of fixing grass and paving walkways comes out of tuition and room-and-board rates,” Madden said. “If we can get everyone at Iowa State more aware of the issue, then we can begin to save some of these resources.”

Ringgenberg and other GSB members will be following up Tuesday’s forum with a campus walk starting in front of the Memorial Union at 2 p.m. Thursday.