Lighting candles

Marjorie Smith

Silence settled in on Central Campus on Wednesday as the Campanile struck 8 p.m. and marked the start of a vigil service in memory of Abel Bolanos.

A crowd huddled together on the sidewalks south of the Campanile as the Government of the Student Body passed out candles to people waiting for the service to commence. Some friends of Bolanos’ brought their own candles and some had even brought flowers.

Emily Jensen, GSB president and senior in political science, began the vigil with a brief statement followed by a moment of silence.

“We just ask that as we are starting to light the candles tonight, that we take a moment of silence and remember Abel, or for those of you who may not have known him, just take a moment of silence in honoring him and his family,” Jensen said.

Candles began to light and a warm glow slowly emerged from the heart of the crowd. Cold temperatures and strong winds out of the north made it difficult for many people to light their candles.

Minutes after the candles had been lit; Jensen encouraged people to talk and share memories about Bolanos.

“We would like to invite any student who has a thought or a memory, or just some support, to please come up and take moment on the microphone,” Jensen said.

Kenneth Sterner, freshman in biology, stepped forward and talked about his friendship with Bolanos while they were coworkers at Red Lobster, 1100 Buckeye Ave.

“Abel Bolanos was one of our best friends,” Sterner said. “There are no words to describe the kid – he was absolutely amazing. He’s one-of-a-kind.”

Sterner described Bolanos as always having an overenthusiastic greeting when walking into work or his house.

“Just keep his family, friends and everybody else in your thoughts and prayers,” Sterner said.

Jensen also told the crowd counselors were available throughout the night.

“We also have counselors here from Student Counseling Services if anyone would like to speak with them tonight,” Jensen said.

Counselors were available on-site and at the Memorial Union for people to approach and talk to.

Student Counseling Services is offering an array of services for students who have been affected by the loss.

“Something like this is a shock to a campus community, and people are wanting to feel safe and secure and happy and this is an intrusion, a big intrusion,” said Joyce Davidson, associate director of Student Counseling Services. “An opportunity to come together and recognize that there has been a tragedy on the campus and to remember him and honor him and to give a kind of a sense of togetherness even though many people have experienced it differently – it is a very important thing to do.”