House of history

Adam Edelman

The once-unfinished basement of the Black Cultural Center had sustained water damage from frozen pipes bursting, causing mold to accumulate. The interior, plain except for several cracks in the paint and walls of the center, was in dire need of redecoration and furniture. Even the sign that once hung over the front door had been stolen.

After many hours of hard work and frustrating setbacks, a rededication ceremony was held Wednesday at the Knapp-Storm Dining Center to celebrate the new and improved Black Cultural Center, 517 Welch Ave. Hundreds of community members were in attendance. Following the rededication, a tour of the renovated Black Cultural Center was given.

“It took three years, but I’m glad that I could witness this before I graduate,” said Dimar Brown, president of the Black Student Alliance and senior in political science.

Brown was one of the last students to utilize the center when he came to Iowa State as a freshman. Now, he said that he is eager for a new generation to have a comfortable place to call a home away from home.

The Black Cultural Center taskforce, the leaders of the renovation effort from the Black Student Alliance, presented ISU President Gregory Geoffroy, Ames Mayor Ann Campbell, Ames Police Chief Loras Jaeger and GSB President Emily Jensen with plaques to thank them, as well as the organizations they represent, for their help in the renovation process.

Geoffroy, who received a plaque on behalf of Iowa State, thanked all students and staff who helped to make the rededication possible. He commented on the strong sense of community fellowship that was present at the rededication.

“It’s just tremendous to see so many people from different parts of the university, different parts of our community, who care deeply about what we are doing today and what it means,” Geoffroy said. “It says a lot about who we are as a community.”

Campbell accepted her plaque on behalf of the city of Ames. She said the center is an asset to a place like Ames, a city that balances the perks of small-town Iowa and big-city life.

“One of the things that we want to be is a small Iowa town in all of its conveniences,” Campbell said. “On the other hand, I’ve come to learn that we also want all of the amenities that cities offer, and that includes diverse opportunities and the opportunity to meet friends that we would not meet if were just in ordinary, small-town Iowa.”

She said many ingredients go into a community to bring it together and make it operate well.

“I can’t help but think that one of the very important ingredients in making the whole of Ames work is what you’re doing today in rededicating the Black Cultural Center,” Campbell said.

Campbell, who lives in the same neighborhood as the Black Cultural Center, said she frequently walks past the house. She said she will look forward to seeing the lights on in the building.

“I’m even hoping that I will be invited over for some sweet potato pie sometime,” she said.