Student takes proactive role in many organizations

Kathy Huting

The responsibilities that come with student leadership are often underestimated. Brandon Kennedy, junior in mechanical engineering, understands and takes on many of these responsibilities through his exceptional involvement on campus.

He is a peer mentor coordinator for the Engineering Leadership Program and is assistant vice-chair on the Region V board of the National Society of Black Engineers. Kennedy has also been involved as a Government of Student Body senator, a volunteer for the Black Student Alliance and in the Entrepreneurship and Innovation Learning Community in Buchanan Hall.

“I’m a jack-of-all-trades; a master of none,” Kennedy said.

He has networked since his freshman year with highly involved individuals, such as Angela Groh, former GSB president, to get involved with campus organizations.

“I’m a business person impersonating an engineer,” Kennedy said of his academic experience.

His strong interest in engineering and knack for entrepreneurship led to a unique combination as a mechanical engineer with an entrepreneurship minor. He said he plans to obtain his Ph.D. in entrepreneurship and-after working in the field of engineering technology- plans to start his own business.

The Buchanan Hall Entrepreneurship and Innovation Learning Community plans to open its coffee shop on Feb. 26. Kennedy is one of the 12 co-owners of the business and looks forward to the opening ceremony. The skills he learned from studying entrepreneurship have been crucial to the development of the project. Supply chain management, engineering and food-buying coordination have all been essential parts of planning the new business.

Kennedy’s two passions are engineering and entrepreneurship. He believes that with the development of the Engineering Leadership Program and his motivations as an entrepreneur, he can make changes on campus and in the world.

“The kid has integrity, he is kind and he is so appreciative of anything that is offered to him,” said Judi Eyles, program coordinator for the ISU Pappajohn Center for Entrepreneurship. “He’s just a teddy bear – he’s liked by everybody. He’s a sincere kid who’s very committed to his academics and extra curricular activities, and he’s very interested in being successful.”

Kennedy has been an active volunteer in the rededication ceremony of the Black Cultural Center, due to reopen at 3:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Knapp-Storm Dining Complex. The event will include a reception, tours and speakers, including ISU President Gregory Geoffroy. The Black Cultural Center has been closed for three years, and the reopening will celebrate the direction and future of the center.

“Brandon has helped with making sure the house is clean; he’s delegated tasks to volunteers, helped planning the tours and training the tour guides,” said Dimar Brown, president of Black Student Alliance and senior in political science.

The qualities about Kennedy that most stick out to Brown include his personality, his reliability and his ability to multitask and not become stressed. Brown recently needed a favor and Kennedy was the one he called, because he knew of his kindness and reliability.

Kennedy recognizes his responsibilities as a black leader, and brings his background to the table along with these character traits.

He grew up in Chicago, where the black culture was prevalent among his family members, friends and community.

“Some people are reluctant to get involved [on campus],” Kennedy said.

He wishes to get everyone involved, regardless of race.

“I think it’s important for me to put myself out there and be an example to other people – to set an example for leadership, not just black organizations but all organizations.”