Winterfest illuminates Central Campus

Julie Young

Bundle up and snuggle in tight. Chilly weather came just in time for Wednesday’s opening of Winterfest at Iowa State.

“Since we’re celebrating winter, the weather seems pretty cooperative,” joked Shallee Keenan, senior in sociology and co-chairwoman of the event.

More than 100 people experienced the first day of this annual seasonal event, enjoying free activities including carriage rides, cookie decorating and holiday-themed Campanile bells.

“I’m here for the carriage ride and the carillon,” said Cole Bisgard, junior in operations and supply chain management.

Crowds huddled together to hear Jeff Johnson, president of the Alumni Association, and Tahira Hira, executive assistant to ISU President Gregory Geoffroy, speak at the festival’s opening program on Central Campus.

“Just coming out of Thanksgiving and going into the next season of giving, it’s time to come together and participate in the kickoff of this wonderful season,” Johnson said.

Students and community members alike sang along with Iowa State’s own Shy of a Dozen’s campus sing along.

“I love to sing along with such a talented group,” said Jessica Schmeckpeper, freshman in child, adult and family services.

Bundled in pink and white coats, 3-year-old Trinity Ospina and Halle Schmalz waved sparkling wands to illuminate Iowa State.

Winterfest 2006 Activities

Thursday

9 a.m. to 6 p.m. – Horticulture Club poinsettia sales, University Book Store lobby

11 a.m. to 4 p.m. – Block and Bridle Club will take orders for summer sausage and cheese, University Book Store lobby

Noon to 1 p.m. – CD signing by Simon Estes, University Book Store

5 to 8 p.m., Southwest Athletic Complex

ISU Juggling Club demonstration with fire batons

Paintball Club sponsored tournament, free to ISU students

Free s’mores sponsored by ISU Outdoor Recreation

Free hot cocoa by Collegiate 4-H

8 p.m. – SUB film: “Howl’s Moving Castle,” Pioneer Room of the Memorial Union, free admission and popcorn

8 p.m. – SUB presents Bound Stems and Rahim, Maintenance Shop of the Memorial Union, $5 students, $7 public

Friday

7:30 p.m. – ISU Theatre presents “A Midsummer Night’s Dream,” Fisher Theater, $7 students, $13 public

8 p.m. – SUB Anime Festival: “The Place Promised in Our Early Days,” Pioneer Room of the Memorial Union, free admission & popcorn

9 p.m. – SUB presents: The Wood Brothers and Set Walker, a night of blended blues-folk-rock, Maintenance Shop of the Memorial Union, $9 students, $12 public

9 p.m. – ISU AfterDark Casino Night, Sun Room of the Memorial Union, ISU students only, free

10:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. – Free ice-skating at Ames/ISU Ice Arena, sponsored by GSB

Ospina and Schmalz are associated with Dance Marathon, a volunteer organization promoting awareness of the Children’s Miracle Network and the Children’s Hospital of Iowa.

“This is just a small taste of the big day in January,” said Chris Deal, senior in mechanical engineering and general co-director of Dance Marathon.

With festivities well under way, students journeyed to the Memorial Union, where free cookie decorating, hot chocolate and Snow Glow bowling were going on.

“[Winterfest] is going well, a little chilly, but this hot chocolate warms the spirit,” said Michael Kline, senior in elementary education, sipping his free drink.

A line of rosy-cheeked people wound through the commons, waiting to decorate cookies.

“This guy looks like a marshmallow dancer from ‘Fantasia,'” said Brenna Lynch, graduate student in educational leadership and policy studies, while icing her cookie.

Although free events are always welcome, students showed support for the less fortunate by donating to charity events involved in Winterfest.

The Student Union Board sponsored the Empty Bowl Project, where handmade bowls were sold along with dinner to fight world hunger.

“Winterfest is the coolest thing to do when it’s cold out – I’m so pumped about the [Empty Bowl Project’s] chili,” said Jacob Oakland, junior in industrial engineering.

The Give Some Warmth Project also began. Students can donate winter gear to area shelters, with collection boxes in the Memorial Union and various other locations.

The University Book Store also participated in Winterfest with special sales, a watercolor demonstration by artist Mary Lou Wright, book signing by Deb Marquart and free winter treats.

“It’s a great chance to show off UBS stuff and ours as well,” said Ashley Heise, senior in horticulture, who was selling poinsettias with the Horticulture Club on Wednesday and will sell them again on Thursday.

Although Santa was not in attendance, children enjoyed the next best red-suited character, Cy, who gave the event two thumbs up.

For the bold students who chose to brave the cold with Campanile tours, chocolate kisses sweetened the deal.

The Farm House Museum celebrated Winterfest with holiday piano music, refreshments and full Victorian-style holiday decorations.

“It really puts you in the holiday spirit when everything’s decorated,” said Eleanor Ostendorf, program assistant for University Museums.

The night wrapped up with Global Stage performances in the Great Hall, along with a late night comedy show by Grandma Mojo’s Moonshine Revival – both of which were free.

“It’s a great chance to mingle with Iowa State students, with events from paintball club, outdoor recreation, collegiate 4-H and juggling club to come,” said Mary Fuller, junior in agriculture education.