Terrace parties to be held before each home game

Bethany Anderson

Organizers didn’t have to count heads to get an idea of numbers at the second Memorial Union terrace party Friday. The proof was in the pudding, or rather the free pork burgers, hot dogs, chips and pop.

Four times as many people attended the second party than the first, said Michael McCoy, MU board of directors president.

Volunteers served 400 meals from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., compared to the 100 meals that were dispersed in a short free-for-all at the first party.

McCoy, who also serves as Student Union Board president, is encouraged to continue the parties due to students’ positive response.

“It’s a great turn-out,” McCoy said. “We’re going to do one every Friday before the home football games, which will mean probably three more, if the weather holds out … It’s a neat thing to resurrect — quite expensive but worth it.”

McCoy learned about the original parties, which died out in the ’80s due to problems with alcohol, and was inspired to resurrect the celebrations. He liked the general idea of the parties and recommended reviving a dry version earlier this fall.

The idea shot off from there, and following the second of the revived parties, McCoy is hoping to take them even further.

McCoy says he wants to spice up future terrace parties by bringing in a hypnotist, jugglers, unicyclists and affordable national music acts. The next terrace party may even include a band partly composed of ISU students, and may offer a vegetarian meal option.

But regardless of what’s added, McCoy said he is simply looking forward to the parties sticking around well into the future.

“I’m wanting it to start as a tradition, so people just know it’s going to happen,” McCoy said. “So students don’t have to search for a dollar burger on a Friday afternoon, they can just know they’re available for free here.”

There is a price tag that comes with all of the free food and entertainment, though.

“It’s about $3,000 on all of the terrace parties combined,” said GSB President Mike Banasiak.

The tab is picked up by GSB, the Office of Student Affairs and the Student Union Board.

“People were concerned that it was a large amount of money to spend at first,” said Off-Campus Senator Matt Denner. “I think that we’ll have to ask students if ultimately they thought it was a success and worth doing again … but people appear to be enjoying themselves and it looks to be a good time to revive a sense of community at Iowa State.”