GSB pushes for two public tailgating lots

Bethany Anderson

In an effort to appease both students wanting to drink in a student-only lot and university officials concerned with possible underage and dangerous drinking behavior, GSB introduced a proposal to create two lots—one for students of all ages and one for students 21 and older.

GSB had its first reading on a proposed resolution to create two student tailgating lots Wednesday.

The details won’t be debated until next Wednesday’s GSB meeting.

The resolution, if passed, would create two Iowa State student-only lots near Jack Trice Stadium, said the resolution’s author Graduate Senator Dan Christenson.

One area would be for students 21 and older with “reasonable consumption of alcohol” allowed; the other area would be for all ages, but alcohol-free. He said there is a possibility the two areas may be implemented at different times.

The likelihood of a trial run of the resolution, if it passes, is, “very good,” said Vice Speaker of the Senate William Rock. “[GSB, Vice President for Student Affairs Thomas Hill and Dean of Students Pete Englin] wants to do something at the end of this season to show that there’s been some kind of resolution.”

Speaker of the Senate Tony Luken said GSB hopes to have answers next week. “It’s not going to be everything students want … but we’re owed a few favors.”

Those “favors” could be determined partly during GSB’s meeting with Athletic Director Bruce Van de Velde Thursday, as well as at GSB’s next meeting.

“I expect the basics of the resolution to stay the same,” Christenson said. However, he said he does expect the smaller logistical details to be worked out and possibly be adjusted further over time.

Rock said most GSB senators have not come forward with any other student tailgating solutions.

As a conglomeration of senator’s ideas, the resolution could eventually be passed. But senators are still trying to determine how much other students are willing to support the resolution.

“What we’ve heard from students … a lot of them are happy with the grass lots,” Rock said. “Most of student anger was directed at the process that they felt had overlooked them earlier in the semester. I believe we’ve moved beyond that to working out a solution.

“This has pretty much consumed the entire semester. We’re about half way through the semester and we’ve seemed to focus on this issue more than any other.”

The issue will still take more time to be resolved but Rock said he is pleased with the dual-lot idea.

“This is the best improvement we could do as far as right now, and as next year is concerned,” Rock said.

GSB left alone a tabled resolution proposing a cut in funding to the athletic department through the reduction of student fees allocated to the department.

A vote on the tabled resolution has been postponed indefinitely.