Student leaders suggest changes to tuition process

William Dillon

In conjunction with the student government bodies at the University of Iowa and the University of Northern Iowa, the ISU Government of the Student Body drafted a letter proposing changes in the tuition process, financial aid and the structure of the Iowa Board of Regents.

The letter was sent to the Iowa Board of Regents, Gov. Tom Vilsack and Owen Newlin, president of the Board of Regents, said William Rock, vice speaker of the GSB senate.

Rock said he would also like to see the message sent out to state legislatures. The letter urged tuition increases to become more predictable for students and suggested a change be made as to when the tuition increases would be decided.

GSB President Mike Banasiak said both the state and the regents should rethink the process.

“The system as it stands right now isn’t working,” he said. “The whole system needs to be reworked.”

According to Iowa Code 262.9, “The final decision on an increase in tuition … shall be made no later than the regular meeting held in November of the preceding fiscal year.”

Currently, the legislators decide on the amount of funds provided to the regent institutions — Iowa State, the University of Iowa and the University of Northern Iowa — less than two months before the institutions begin their fiscal year.

When deciding a proposed tuition increase, officials attempt to calculate a number to both offset the previous year’s cut and speculate what type of funding the legislature will provide for the regent universities’ upcoming academic year.

Last April, the funds provided to Iowa State by the Iowa State Legislature were decreased by $6.99 million for the 2003—04 academic year.

The upcoming tuition proposal must take this cut, as well as the actions made by the legislature next April, into account when deciding whether to cut or increase funding for the 2004—05 academic year budget.

The letter sent by student leaders requested tuition not be set until the legislators have determined how much they will provide for the universities.

“It is hard in this time of economic crisis to predict how much tuition should be increased when the regents don’t know how much money will be appropriated,” Banasiak said.

Warren Madden, vice president for business and finance, said waiting for the legislators to release their appropriations before setting tuition would carry both advantages and disadvantages.

On one side, university officials will have their budgets set and know exactly what more is needed in order to maintain the quality and the programming of the university, Madden said.

On the other side, students and families would not have as much notice of an increase, he said. Students would also not have the opportunity to work with the process.

“I think the issue is to give people lead time and notice,” he said.

Another disadvantage would be the lack of time to figure salary increases, Madden said.

“The process of setting salaries takes some time to do,” he said. “It would be harder to do that putting tuition decisions off until spring.”

Banasiak said he wants to see legislators place more priority and funding toward higher education.

“The priorities in this state seem to be turned around and we definitely need to get our priorities back in line,” he said.

The letter also called for the student member of the board of regents to be an enrolled student.

Neala Arnold, current student regent, graduated in May of 2003 from the University of Iowa.

Iowa Code 262.1 states one full-time student of Iowa State, University of Iowa or the University of Northern Iowa, must be appointed to regent membership. The code states the student must be enrolled at the time they are appointed.

Arnold was originally appointed to the board in 2002 as a replacement and was re-appointed in 2003. Each regent member can serve up to a six year period.

“Our concern is that there is not enough student voice involved in the critical decisions being made,” Banasiak said.