GSB to give presentation before Board of Regents decision

Emily Sickelka

Concerned ISU students and staff will have another chance to express opinions on the proposed tuition increase to the Board of Regents before the board makes a final decision on Thursday.

The proposed tuition increase would boost tuition $650 per year for Iowa residents and $1,300 per year for nonresident students.

The meeting is scheduled to begin 12:30 p.m. Wednesday and again at 9 a.m. Thursday in rooms 230 and 240 of the Scheman Building.

T.J. Schneider, Government of the Student Body president, said he hopes students will attend the meeting and voice concerns.

“The meeting is open to all students,” he said. “I think the most important thing is [for students] to come to the Board of Regents meeting and make sure the board knows student feelings on the issue — just by being present will help them know that.”

He said he had not heard of any groups planning organized protests, as University of Northern Iowa students did at the Oct. 15 and 16 meetings.

Regent David Fisher from West Des Moines said it’s likely the tuition increases will be passed.

“I don’t see any options to reduce tuition,” he said.

However, he said he anticipated several ideas being put on the table for discussion.

“I’m sure there will be some pretty good debate about the tuition increase,” Fisher said.

Regent David Neil of La Porte City said the board tries to listen carefully to students and provide them with an opportunity to speak, but tuition increases are necessary to maintain a quality level of education.

“I would like to see [tuition] lowered,” he said. “But that would take money from the state government to lower that because the dollars are needed to maintain the institution.”

Schneider said he and GSB Vice President Joe Darr will give a presentation at the meeting.

“We’re going to mainly thank the board for their work on the matter and ask them to look to the future and see what they can do to help ensure that higher education is given the appropriations that it needs from the state,” Schneider said.

He said he will also remind the board that GSB remains in disagreement with the tuition increase and is in favor of looking into alternative options to deal with budget cuts.

Schneider said the fact they were asked to speak a final time may give insight into how the Regents are feeling.

“I was assuming that [the tuition increase was] pretty much a done deal but the fact that they want us to speak again is quite interesting,” he said.

“Maybe it’s that they’re still uncertain. I don’t think the board is exactly happy making a decision like this.”

Students from UNI are planning on attending the meeting to demonstrate opposition, but Schneider said he hadn’t heard if the University of Iowa students, outside of student government, would attend.

GSB will provide transportation from the Memorial Union to the Scheman Building for interested students, Schneider said. CyRide’s Orange Route is also available.