IRHA revises money distribution policy

Emily Sickelka

The Inter-Residence Hall Association voted Thursday to place more requirements on funds coming out of the special projects account.

Colleen Prosser, Towers Residence Association treasurer and author of the bill, said because the minimum amount that could be withdrawn from the account at any one time was $1,000, the funds should benefit all residence hall students.

“That’s a significant chunk of our constituents’ money,” she said. “We need to spell out in black and white that [the] special projects [account] is to benefit all students.”

Also, a bill was introduced that would allot $1,500 for the purchase of a web server for the organization’s web page.

Matt Newcomb, Richardson Court Association treasurer and author of the bill, said IRHA currently runs its server off of its office computer.

“If something gets messed up while we’re working on [the office computer], then we lose the Web site,” he said.

He said a new server would allow the organization to install donated Windows 2002 software and possibly allow Internet space for all residence hall associations or houses.

Also, a bill was introduced that would update several by-laws.

These updates would include changing several position titles, changing summer requirements of the president and vice president, and removing the director of information technology from the radio station KURE’s board, since the station will not be funded by IRHA beginning July 1, 2003.

Also at the meeting, Government of the Student Body Speaker of the Senate Tony Luken asked for IRHA’s input on where more lighting was needed on campus.

“GSB basically has one big blank check [for lighting],” Luken said. “What I need from you is where you’d like to see lights.”

The Order of Rose and Chessmen President Kristen Banas was also on hand to honor Director of Conferences Heather Minish with the organization’s “Of the Month” award and to encourage members to submit nominations for future awards.

“What we’re really trying to do is focus on honoring people in the residence halls,” she said.