GSB approves renovation of Memorial Union

Nicole Paseka

The Government of the Student Body voted 32-0 in favor of a resolution to support an extensive $11.5 million renovation of the Memorial Union that will be funded primarily by ISU students.

There was one abstention on the vote.

Students have voiced concerns to the Memorial Union Board of Directors and GSB about renovating the historical building, which is the only building on campus under students’ jurisdiction.

Students will pay an additional $15 in student fees each semester starting in 2003 to foot the bill for the extensive project if it is approved by the Board of Regents next fall.

“This was a monumental step,” said GSB President Andy Tofilon.

“The students stepped up to the plate and said yes to the renovation and yes to student control.”

Roger Ferris, associate director of operations for the MU, said the project would make the building more handicap-accessible.

Concerns have been raised that it may not currently comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.

The renovation would also provide a home to a multicultural center, as well as a glass atrium west of the food court that would provide more room for dining and meetings.

Ferris said he was impressed to see a student-based initiative on the renovation, which was similar to that of the students who planned the original concept for the Memorial Union in the early 1920s.

“To see that same kind of unbridled enthusiasm in this century gives me goosebumps,” Ferris said. “It’s amazing.”

In other action at the meeting, senator Shu Tosaka, Family and Consumer Sciences, resigned from his position during open forum in response to a senate order to censure Tosaka after he missed eight senate meetings during the last term.

A bill written by Tosaka forbidding senators to wear hats at GSB meetings failed by a vote of 16-17 after he departed.