Teacher grading Web site ready

Nicole Paseka

Students can now evaluate their spring semester instructors online as a result of a Web site supported by the Government of the Student Body.

The site, www.xyst.dhs.org, allows students to rate and review ISU professors and their teaching methods. It was originally developed by computer engineering student, Greg Hogan, and has recently grown as a result of support by GSB President T.J. Schneider, who formerly served as the GSB director of academic affairs.

“It’s all up and functional and working well,” Schneider said. “Now we just have to find out how efficient and effective it is for students.”

With the ratings section of the site now open, Schneider said students can evaluate their spring semester instructors and use the information for academic planning.

“Students haven’t actually been able to utilize this site yet. Before there was very limited information,” Schneider said.

The site’s creators hope it will serve as a tool to assist students with academic planning and will match students with teachers who work best with their individual learning style. Information about every class offered in the spring semester will be available on the updated site, he said.

“The big impact will be seen next fall when students register for spring semester classes,” Schneider said. He said the site will become increasingly beneficial as more students evaluate their instructors and increase the size of the database.

“With this site, students can provide honest information to other students,” said Dorothy Lewis, director of Academic Information Technologies. “I think it will be quite valuable to them.”

She said the site is a good start, but is just a pilot version.

“One of the biggest challenges is finding out what questions provide valuable information to students,” Lewis said.

Currently, students can give their instructor an overall rating and also answer questions about class workload, instructor availability, instructor communication and primary teaching style.

Lewis said she feels faculty members will be interested in seeing the site and will respond positively after looking it over.

“The way the students put this together, it’s intended to be very positive,” Lewis said. “It provides valid information rather than just a blast-your-professor site.”

GSB will meet at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.

Special Orders

A senate order to confirm Senator William Walling as director of campus awareness. By Luken, Bjorlo and others.

A senate order to confirm Dean of Students Pete Englin and Assistant Dean of Students Vernon Wall as advisers to the GSB Executive Branch and Senate. By Luken, Johnson and others.

A senate order to confirm Jeremy Schweitzer as a member of the Finance Committee and Capt. Douglas Houghton as the adviser to the Finance Committee. By Leege, Luken and others.

A senate order to confirm Justice Gregory Tew as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court upon the resignation of Chief Justice Alex Olson. By Luken, Leege and others.

General Orders

A senate bill to allocate $1,952 from the Senate Discretionary Account to fund the B.R.A.D. 21 Program.

A senate bill to implement a professional dress code at GSB meetings. By Albright and others.

New Business

A senate bill to allocate $2,454.40 from the Senate Discretionary Account to Orchesis I for the American College National Dance Festival. By Leege, Sherk and others.

A senate bill to allocate $5,200 from the Senate Discretionary Account to the Pakistan Student Association. By Carroll, Leege and others.

A senate resolution endorsing revisions to the Student Disciplinary Regulations with several additional recommendations. By Luken, Leege and others.