After a year of planning new ISU baseball club hits the diamond

Jeff Raasch

When Jake Reichling heard the news that the ISU baseball team would be cut after the season last spring, he knew there had to be an alternative.

It’s taken a full year of planning, but the sophomore from Johnston has led the organization of the ISU baseball club.

The four-team squad, which features 56 students, took to the field for the first time last weekend to play a round of games.

This weekend the diamond men will be playing a year-ending tournament at three area sites. All four teams will take play Saturday at either United Community School District or Slater to determine seedings.

The semifinals will be played at 10 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. on Sunday at Brookside Park in Ames. The winners will meet at 3 p.m. that afternoon at the same site for all the marbles.

Reichling, who tried out for the ISU baseball team during his freshman year, said he got the idea for the club last April, shortly after the shocking announcement that the ISU baseball team would be cut after the season. He said he was very ambitious about getting things started in the fall semester, but it was a lot more work than he expected. Reichling said he has no idea how many hours he’s put in to the project.

“Oh hell, I don’t know,” he said. “More than any of my classes, that’s for sure. It’s been a lot of work.”

Reichling said he got help from the Government of the Student Body in his venture.

GSB helped purchase the original equipment, including 650 baseballs and catching equipment. He then used club dues to purchase uniforms for the club and lined up certified umpires for this weekend’s tournament.

He’s also put in hours helping to prepare the fields for the games this weekend.

Tom Emmerson, ISU journalism professor and co-advisor to the baseball club, said Reichling has done a tremendous job and deserves the credit he receives.

“He just never gave up,” Emmerson said of Reichling. “Jake really did it all.”

Club vice president Kyle Paxton said the reaction from the students was very positive from the beginning. The initial interest in the club exceeded 125 students. Reichling and Paxton held informational meetings, but were still in negotiations with the ISU Athletic Department over the use of Cap Timm Field and other equipment.

“It started off kind of slow because we had problems getting the field,” Paxton said. “Once we got the field handed over, we got going. The way the students reacted has been very positive.”

After months of planning and preparation, the club officially got started swinging in early February. Those who paid dues to the club, which were set at $75, were allowed to partake in hitting sessions at the Lied Recreation Center.

Reichling said he hopes to trim dues next year to encourage more participation.

The club has since used Cap Timm for practices as the weather has turned warmer.

The future of the club looks bright and there is a lot in store for members.

Reichling said he hopes to put together a tournament of all-star teams next fall. He plans to hold games when the football team is on the road, to encourage attendance.

Paxton said a long-term goal of the club is to join the National Club Baseball Association.

He said it could take some time to get everything arranged because there aren’t many close teams involved with the NCBA.

The best case scenario would see Iowa State join a Midwest league and compete against area community and junior colleges.

According to the NCBA’s Web site, the University of Nebraska has a baseball club, but they play in the Rocky Mountain Conference, often traveling west for their games.

Ohio has several teams, but travel costs and NCBA dues still pose hurdles for the ISU club.

Several other Big 12 schools have clubs in the association. Besides Nebraska, there are four other schools in the NCBA – Colorado, Texas, Texas A&M and Baylor.

For now though, the club is focusing on this weekend’s tournament and the culmination of a very busy year. Reichling said the public is encouraged to attend at no cost, especially for the semifinal and championship games on Sunday.

“[The games] are a lot of fun,” Paxton said. “It’s a pretty easy-going atmosphere.”

Anyone willing to help the club is encouraged to contact Reichling at 572-5451 or Paxton at 268-9770.