Microsoft agreement vote tied in committee

Michelle Kann

There is still no answer to whether Iowa State will enter into a subscription-based licensing agreement with the Microsoft Corporation.

The Computation Advisory Committee met and voted on the agreement Thursday night at the Durham Center. The final vote was 8-8.

Computation Advisory Committee Chairwoman Ann Thompson said board members who were not present for the meeting will be able to vote online.

After those votes, Thompson will report the board’s decision to Provost Rollin Richmond.

Thompson, professor of curriculum and instruction, said the discussion and vote reflected the feelings of the campus community concerning Microsoft.

“I think this vote is an accurate account of what happened at tonight’s meeting,” she said.

Several Government of the Student Body senators were also at the meeting. GSB voted 30-2 on Feb. 21 in favor of a resolution recommending that the university does not enter into the agreement with Microsoft.

The senators said the tie vote was a move in the right direction.

“We hope the provost listens to the advisory committee, but in the end respects the wishes of the students and rejects the proposal,” said Tony Luken, LAS.

Luken said when the board discussed the Microsoft proposal there was confusion among the members about details of the proposal.

“There were a huge number of unanswered questions,” Luken said. “I don’t how some members could vote yes. The devil is in the details.”