GSB to address concerns with Buchanan renovations

Nicole Paseka

Buchanan Hall students are struggling with the Department of Residence in an effort to preserve their unique living arrangement in the face of upcoming renovations and changing requirements.

Although many Buchanan Hall residents are in favor of the renovation project, there are concerns about younger students living in the dormitory when it re-opens. The issue will be discussed during the Government of the Student Body meeting Wednesday night.

“They’re going to drop the age down, and we don’t like that,” said Kathy Zaimes, Buchanan Hall president and alternative housing senator for the Government of the Student Body. “There’s not going to be any real adult dormitory.”

Currently, students must be at least 21 years old to live in Buchanan Hall. The vast majority of the building’s residents are graduate, international and nontraditional students, said Zaimes, senior in physics.

GSB will vote Wednesday on a senate resolution recommending the Department of Residence not change the current status of Buchanan Hall when it re-opens after the renovations.

Melissa Brunia, GSB alternative housing senator-elect, said the Department of Residence plans to renovate Buchanan Hall to accommodate younger students with at least a sophomore status because the dormitory has not been attracting enough older students.

“The occupancy in the building has been dropping,” said Brunia, senior in genetics.

Zaimes said Buchanan Hall could easily attract more adult students if the Department of Residence gave the building more exposure.

“I don’t even think people know Buchanan Hall exists,” Zaimes said. “It’s not the residents’ responsibility to advertise the building.”

Jim Judy, associate director of facilities planning for the Department of Residence, said the $8 million renovation of Buchanan Hall will give the building an entirely new look and modernize the structure.

“It will be more in accordance of what students expect these days,” Judy said. Buchanan Hall has not been remodeled since the facility opened in 1964.

“There’s been ongoing minor improvements, but this is the first major remodeling the building has ever received,” Judy said. “There are numerous items that will be updated to provide a new environment for students. They will meet students’ expectations in terms of design and aesthetics.”

He said some of the improvements to Buchanan Hall include a large community room and lounge area with a fireplace, updated kitchenettes and bathrooms, two new elevators and other basic updates in terms of heating, cooling, plumbing and electricity.

Judy said if all goes as planned, the renovation project will begin this summer, and Buchanan Hall will open its doors to students in the fall of 2003.

“The building definitely needs to be remodeled. There’s no question about that,” Brunia said. “It amazes me that I pay the rent I do to live there.”

Zaimes said Buchanan Hall residents will most likely live off campus next year while the renovations are taking place.

She said some residents have considered living in Hawthorn Court, but the complex does not provide the same academic environment and privacy unique to Buchanan.

Zaimes said the Buchanan Hall property was originally donated to the university in the 1960s as a home for international students.

Through the years, the building became home to a diverse group of adult students.

A 24-hour quiet policy ensures a positive study environment, Zaimes said. “We conduct ourselves as mature adults.”

She said Buchanan Hall students are serious about academic obligations and do not want to worry about “policing” younger students that are sometimes known to cause problems with noise and alcohol violations in other dormitories.

“[The Department of Residence] made it quite apparent that the decision has already been made to change it to undergraduate housing,” Brunia said. “It’s not really what the people here want. The people who live here very much treasure the building.”

Brunia said she hopes a strong standing by the student body will make the Department of Residence reconsider its decision to change Buchanan Hall, or ensure graduate students have quality housing elsewhere.

Randy Alexander, director of the Department of Residence, was unavailable for comment.

GSB will meet at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union. The following will be discussed:

General Orders

A senate bill to allocate $19,429.30 to the ISU Drumline Club. By Leege and Fischer.

A senate bill to allocate $1,899 to the Student Organic Farm. By Kothenbeutel, Luken and others.

A senate bill to approve the account allocations recommendations for the next fiscal year. By Kothenbeutel, Stallmann and others.

A senate bill to add a bylaw stating a case in the GSB Supreme Court should not be considered by the court if four months have passed since the action occurred. By Walling, Tinder and others.

A senate bill to allocate $1,076.95 to the Academic Quiz Club. By Weaver, Batsa and others.

A senate bill to allocate $730.48 to the ISU Roller Hockey Team. By Tinder, Weaver and others.

A senate bill to transfer all funds remaining from the Senate Discretionary Account as of Inauguration 2002 into the Special Allocations for use in Fall 2002. By Kothenbeutel, Stallmann and others.

A resolution to ensure that Buchanan Hall remains an adult undergraduate dormitory for students at least 21 years and older. By Zeckmann and Leeds.

A senate resolution to recognize the accomplishments of wrestler Cael Sanderson. By Walling, Luken and others.

A senate resolution requesting Parks Library be added to President Gregory Geoffroy’s list of priorities to ensure it is not affected by future budget cuts. By Sutherland, Leege and others.

A senate resolution encouraging the administration to make every reasonable endeavor to preserve the existing structure of Morrill Hall. By Edgar and Leege.

New Business

A senate bill to allocate $2,332 to the ISU Paintball Club. By McKee, Walling and others.

A senate bill to allocate $1,021 to the Women’s Volleyball Club. By Luken, Darr and others.

A senate resolution reiterating the students’ opinion against Iowa State entering into a subscription-based licensing contract with the Microsoft Corporation. By Luken, Leege and others.