GSB to seek passenger van funding

Nicole Paseka

ISU student organizations may have greater access to large 15-passenger vans as a result of legislation proposed by the Government of the Student Body.

Currently, there are not enough vans available for use by student organizations and groups have been forced to seek transportation services from less reliable alternatives, said Andrew Kothenbeutel, GSB speaker of the senate.

“We’ve had concerns from sports clubs and other organizations that other companies aren’t as safe,” he said. “They feel more comfortable using university vans. It’s a lot easier and safer for them to use our vans than to go through private companies.”

There are currently two 15-passenger vans and two mini-vans available for student organizations to rent from the university.

If GSB passes the bill, a total of $39,826.78 from the Special Projects Account will go toward the purchase of two 2002 15-passenger vans.

Anastasia Sprowl, president of the Sports Club Council, said clubs have experienced difficulty renting the vans because there are simply not enough to accommodate everyone.

“They’re always booked,” Sprowl said. “It’s really difficult to get a van. They’re used all the time.”

Sprowl said the ISU Ski and Snowboard Club recently rented a van from U-Save Auto Rental, 705 S. Duff, because the university vans were booked. The club needed the van for a short trip to Winter Park, Colo.

“It was a rear-wheel drive van, and it was very, very difficult to drive it up a mountain path,” Sprowl said. “You sort of steered for your life.”

She said the tires of the van were worn.

“There have been safety concerns,” Sprowl said. “I think it would be much safer for us to have vehicles by the university.”

If GSB passes the bill, the new vans could arrive at Iowa State within a month.

“It’s a fairly quick process,” Kothenbeutel said.

The Government of the Student Body will meet at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union. The following issues will be discussed:

General Orders

A senate bill to allocate $15,984.40 to CY46 from the Special Projects Account to purchase equipment and supplies. By Leege, Walling and others.

A senate bill to allocate $2555.26 to the lacrosse team from the Senate Discretionary Account. By Kothenbeutel and Luken.

A senate bill to allocate $600 to the Feminist Majority Leadership Alliance from the Senate Discretionary Account. By Tinder and Kothenbeutel.

A senate bill to endorse a policy that no hats are to be worn by senators at GSB meetings, with the exception of all articles recognized by various religions. By Tosaka.

A senate bill to ratify a funding contract with the Ames Social Services Evaluation Team. By Kothenbeutel, Luken and others.

New Business

A senate bill to allocate $2,222.00 to the Marching Cyclone Drill Team from the GSB Special Projects Account for the purchase of five new drums. By Batsa and Kothenbeutel.

A senate bill to purchase two new 15-passenger vans for $39,826.78 from the GSB Special Projects Account. By Rodeck, Kothenbeutel and others.

A senate bill to require all executive cabinet officers to file a final report no later than one week prior to leaving office. By Luken, Kothenbeutel and others.

A senate bill to allocate $4,500 to the Iowa State Karate Club from the Senate Discretionary Account to fund a trip to Korea. By Stallmann, Kothenbeutel and others.

A senate resolution to oppose the naming of the new Honors Building after Martin Jischke. By Marvin, Rodeck and others.

A senate resolution to renovate the Memorial Union to make the building handicapped-accessible and add a multicultural center by supporting an additional student fee not to exceed $15 per semester. By Luken, Leege and others.