GSB resolution follows suit of faculty, IRHA

Nicole Paseka

The Government of the Student Body introduced a resolution Wednesday night expressing its disapproval of the new honors building being named in honor of former ISU President Martin C. Jischke.

Many GSB members voiced concerns that Jischke did not earn this honor in the eyes of students and faculty at Iowa State during his presidency.

“It never seemed like students were his No. 1 priority,” said Steve Medanic, finance director for GSB and one of the co-authors of the bill. “It seemed like his No. 1 priority was trying to make Iowa State more prestigious through money and grants, not education.”

The naming of the building after Jischke also violates the current policy of the Naming Committee for Buildings and Streets that states there should be a minimum of a five-year waiting period before a building can be named after a former university administrator, according to the Senate resolution.

Alex Rodeck, off-campus, said exceptions to this rule have been made in the past, but Jischke does not merit this kind of special exception.

“He was a very undesirable president in the eyes of some people,” Rodeck said. “He was just very non-open and non-communicative with students.”

Rodeck said the university should seek the input of students who are members of the Honors Program before a final decision is made about the naming of the new building.

“I think it should be up to the honors students and other students and faculty, who have to see the building every day,” Rodeck said.

Medanic said former ISU President Gordon P. Eaton, who served Iowa State from 1986 to 1990, had more influence in the Honors Program than Jischke did and may be a better honoree for the building’s name.

“I don’t necessarily think the Honors Program is the right one for Jischke,” Medanic said.

The Board of Regents approved the name of the Martin C. Jischke Honors Building more than a year ago.

The Faculty Senate and the Inter-Residence Hall Association also recently passed resolutions in opposition of naming the new building in honor of Jischke.

The Government of the Student Body will vote on the resolution at their next meeting April 3.