GSB to present rules to govern Dead Week

Nicole Paseka

Dead Week may eventually become a university-endorsed policy at Iowa State as a result of new legislation pitched by the Government of the Student Body.

Currently, there is no university policy enforcing Dead Week standards, although the University Bulletin has a statement indicating that faculty members are discouraged from scheduling major assignments or exams during Dead Week.

GSB has a formal rule that student organizations under their jurisdiction are not allowed to schedule events or meetings during Dead Week. Members feel a new university-wide policy would guarantee Dead Week standards are enforced throughout campus.

“Not all professors are adhering to what the spirit of Dead Week is supposed to be,” said Joe Darr, off-campus.

The implied contract between instructors and students has eroded over the years, he said, and some students have been required to take final exams or complete projects during Dead Week.

“A lot of the time, students are getting hit twice,” Darr said.

GSB President Andy Tofilon and GSB Director of Academic Affairs T.J. Schneider will present a program tonight to the GSB Senate about the proposal to enact a university-wide Dead Week policy.

“With this policy, we want to make sure students have time to adequately prepare themselves for examinations,” Schneider said.

GSB is proposing the following rules to govern Dead Week:

Instructors could not schedule general or final examinations during Dead Week.

Instructors could not have major course assignments due during Dead Week, including major research papers, large projects and major presentations.

Instructors could not introduce new course material on the final day of classes that would be covered on the final examination.

Instead, instructors would plan for the last day to be used as a time to review and summarize previous course material.

Schneider said the proposal has already been submitted to Provost Rollin Richmond and was presented to the Faculty Senate Executive Board. Tofilon and Schneider will present the proposal to the Faculty Senate March 5.

If all goes well, Schneider said, the university-wide Dead Week policy could be endorsed by the provost near the end of March.

There has also been recent GSB legislation to declare the final two days of Dead Week “Reading Days,” in which no classes would be held.

Tonight’s proposal is an entirely separate bill, Schneider said, but a university-wide Dead Week policy may help to promote interest and discussion about Reading Days.

“Hopefully, this policy will give us something to push off of in the future,” Darr said.

The GSB Senate will meet at 7 tonight in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union. The following will be discussed:

General Orders

A senate resolution recommending Iowa State does not enter into a subscription-based licensing agreement with Microsoft. By Walling, Marvin and others.

A senate resolution requesting the Iowa State Daily review the disciplinary procedures of its employees and recent actions in the firing of editors Sara Tennessen, Wendy Weiskircher and Valerie Dennis. By Weaver, Leege and others.

A senate bill to transfer funding for the SCUBA Club for travel to Crystal River, Fla. By Kothenbeutel and Walling.

A senate bill to allocate $19,506.59 from the Van Administration Account to go toward the purchase of a new minivan for the University Transportation Services. By Kothenbeutel and Fernandez.

A senate bill to allocate funding from the Senate Discretionary Account to support the Second Annual Iowa Conference on Islam March 29-31. By Kothenbeutel, Luken and others.

A senate bill to allocate funding from the Senate Discretionary Account to the ISU Shotokan Karate Club. By Kothenbeutel, Walling and others.

A senate bill to allocate funding from the Senate Discretionary Account to the Scottish Country Dancers of ISU. By Darr, Kothenbeutel and others.

New Business

A senate bill to endorse a university policy on Dead Week.