GSB to discuss Microsoft deal, Daily firings

Nicole Paseka

The pending campus agreement with Microsoft and the recent termination of employment of three editors at the Iowa State Daily are weighing heavily on the minds of members of the Government of the Student Body this week.

The GSB Senate will discuss both resolutions tonight at their regular meeting.

Many concerns have been raised recently that the proposed campus agreement with Microsoft is not in the best interest of ISU students.

Will Tinder, RCA, said the vast majority of his constituents are opposed to the subscription-based licensing agreement.

“I have yet to find someone that is in favor of the proposal after they have read the fine print,” he said. “Basically, I’ve heard a huge outcry against it.”

Students were not provided with enough information about the pros and cons of the pending agreement, said Andrew Kothenbeutel, TRA.

Kothenbeutel said not all students, particularly Macintosh and Linux users, would benefit from a campus-wide agreement with Microsoft.

To enroll in the agreement, Iowa State would pay $300,000 of students’ computer-fee money annually.

There were also complaints that the electronic surveys sent out via e-mail two weeks ago by the Computation Advisory Committee were slanted and contained leading questions, Kothenbeutel said.

“On some questions, you either answered yes or answered yes,” he said.

GSB is working with the Computation Advisory Committee to determine the best solution for ISU students, he said.

“CAC has been very attentive toward student needs and have been willing to take their concerns to heart,” Kothenbeutel said.

A senate resolution opposing the Microsoft agreement will go through its first read tonight.

“I think there is a lot of distrust of the Microsoft Corporation,” Tinder said.

A second resolution GSB senators are contemplating is the recent termination of three Iowa State Daily editors following their appearance in the Feb. 6 issue of Toons.

Sara Tennessen, university editor; Wendy Weiskircher, news editor; and Valerie Dennis, a copy editor, were fired Sunday morning after posing for a picture under the title of “More Nice Girls at ISU.” Daily editor in chief Andrea Hauser said she fired the women because she felt their actions and the Toons advertisement could harm the integrity of the Daily.

Several GSB members were extremely concerned after the sudden termination of the three editors’ employment and are requesting the Daily reevaluate its actions in the recent firing and review the disciplinary procedures of its employees.

The senate resolution states that GSB “recognizes the benefits of job security and the fair treatment of employees.”

GSB President Andy Tofilon declined to comment until the Senate has discussed the issue.

The GSB Senate will meet at 7 tonight in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union. The following issues will be discussed:

General Orders

A senate resolution to honor former Board of Transit Agency President Ann Campbell by naming a new building at the Iowa State Center Commuter Lot the Ann Campbell Transit Station. By Hillock and Rodeck.

New Business

A senate resolution recommending that Iowa State does not enter into a subscription-based licensing agreement with Microsoft. By Walling, Marvin and others.

A senate resolution requesting the Daily review the disciplinary procedures of its employees and recent actions in the firing of editors Sara Tennessen, Wendy Weiskircher and Valerie Dennis. By Weaver, Leege and others.

A senate bill to transfer funding for the SCUBA Club for travel to Crystal River, Fla. By Kothenbeutel and Walling.

A senate bill to allocate $19,506.59 from the Van Administration Account to go toward the purchase of a new minivan for the University Transportation Services. By Kothenbeutel and Fernandez.

A senate bill to allocate funding from the Senate Discretionary Account to support the Second Annual Iowa Conference on Islam March 29-31. By Kothenbeutel, Luken and others.

A senate bill to allocate funding from the Senate Discretionary Account to the ISU Shotokan Karate Club. By Kothenbeutel, Walling and others.

A senate bill to allocate funding from the Senate Discretionary Account to the Scottish Country Dancers of ISU. By Darr, Kothenbeutel and others.