GSB discusses Daily firing resolution

Nicole Paseka

The Government of the Student Body wrestled with a complex agenda Wednesday night.

It discussed a broad range of issues including the naming of a new building at the Iowa State Center, the proposed campus agreement with the Microsoft Corporation and the controversial firing of three female editors at the Iowa State Daily.

The majority of the debate on the senate floor centered around the recent firing of three editors at the Daily – Wendy Weiskircher, Sara Tennessen and Valerie Dennis – after the women’s appearance in a Feb. 6 advertisement in Toons.

A senate resolution requesting the Daily review its actions concerning the termination of the three editors will be voted on next week.

Jonathan Weaver, off-campus, wrote the legislation in hopes the Daily will review its employee disciplinary procedures.

“My goal with the resolution is that the editor in chief of the Daily, Andrea Hauser, would reconsider her actions, rehire the three editors and apologize for her actions,” Weaver said. “The vast majority of students are very upset about what’s going on at the Daily.”

Hauser will be invited to attend next week’s GSB meeting when the senate will vote on the resolution.

Several senators said they fear the former editors’ futures may be harmed by the abrupt termination of their employment at the Daily.

“My biggest problem with this is that it really hurts their career opportunities,” said Alex Rodeck, off campus. “[The decision] was not made based on their qualities as editors and writers.”

There has been a very intense reaction from the student body concerning the firings, said Will Tinder, RCA.

“This resolution is a statement of student anger,” he said.

In other action, GSB voted unanimously to honor Ames resident and former city council member Ann Campbell by naming a new building at the Iowa State Center commuter lot as the Ann Campbell Transit Station.

Campbell was a member of the League of Women Voters, served on the Board of the Transit Agency and was instrumental in the creation of CyRide.

Justin Hillock, off-campus, said Campbell has loyally served the Ames and ISU communities for years and the naming of the station in her honor would be an good way to recognize Campbell’s achievements.

A senate resolution recommending that Iowa State does not enter an agreement with Microsoft will not be voted on until next week.

Several senators said they have received a lot of unfavorable feedback regarding the proposed campus agreement with Microsoft.

“The response I’ve gotten is entirely negative,” said Andy Walling, RCA.

The senate plans to review comparable software agreements of Iowa State’s peer universities before they cast their final vote on the resolution next week.