GSB votes against expansion of Microsoft contract

Nicole Paseka

The Government of the Student Body voted 30-2 Wednesday night in favor of a resolution recommending Iowa State does not enter into a subscription-based licensing agreement with the Microsoft Corporation. There was one abstention on the vote.

“The Computation Advisory Committee was waiting for this information before making a recommendation,” said Computation Advisory Committee Director Ann Thompson. “I’m sure [CAC] will weigh this decision very heavily.”

Several senators said the overwhelming majority of their constituents have voiced opposition to any sort of subscription-based licensing agreement with Microsoft.

“I personally have heard from several students who like the idea, but they were the extreme minority,” said Tony Luken, LAS. “There are just too many questions surrounding the issue.”

Thompson said she was pleased with the campuswide discussion the Microsoft debate has ignited.

“We’re hearing what people think on both sides of the issue,” said Thompson, professor of curriculum and instruction.

She said CAC has investigated the proposed agreement and several questions have been raised.

“One of the challenges is we don’t know how many students would take advantage of this,” Thompson said.

She said the CAC may vote on the proposal at its next regular meeting on March 7, or they could vote electronically before the meeting if the members choose to do so.

“I think we’re very committed to listening to the students’ voice on how their computer fees are spent,” Thompson said.

In other action at the meeting, GSB voted 28-4 in favor of a Senate resolution requesting the Iowa State Daily review the disciplinary procedures of its employees.

The legislation was written as a result of the termination of employment of three Daily editors – Sara Tennessen, Wendy Weiskircher and Valerie Dennis – after the women’s appearance in an advertisement in the Feb. 6 issue of Toons.

Several senators said the firing of the three women violated their basic right to freedom of speech.

“When people’s civil rights are trampled over, the students have a right to have a say in it,” said Will Tinder, RCA.

There were also questions raised as to whether or not the firings were done in accordance with the Daily’s bylaws.

“They have a policy which they did not follow,” said Michael Schaefer, IFC.