GSB bill would change Dead Week

Nicole Paseka

Thanks to new legislation pitched by the Government of the Student Body Wednesday night, Dead Week may eventually be “dead” for ISU students.

President Andy Tofilon and GSB Director of Academic Affairs T.J. Schneider introduced a proposal that would set aside the last two days of Dead Week as “Reading Days” for students. ISU classes would not meet during Thursday or Friday of Dead Week each semester.

This break from the last two days of Dead Week would allow students extra time to study, read, consult professors and prepare for final exams, Tofilon said. Instructors would be encouraged to have office hours during those two days.

The only classes that would meet on Thursday and Friday are classes held solely on those days, he said, such as a class that meets every Thursday night.

“We know that this year there has been a lot of problems with Dead Week,” Schneider said. “What we’re basically asking for is that the final two days of Dead Week be dead.”

Although there are policies at Iowa State regarding final exams and rules about Dead Week, the implied contract between instructors and students has eroded over the years, Schneider said. He also said the program has the support of Vice Provost for Undergraduate Programs Howard Shapiro.

Some professors have introduced new material or assignments during the final days of Dead Week, Schneider said, which can result in students cramming and performing poorly on final exams.

“Hopefully, [with the new plan] there’s less stress on students and more time to prepare for examinations,” he said.

Similar plans are already in place at several of Iowa State’s peer universities such as Texas A&M, the University of Kansas and the University of Texas.

Tofilon said gaining the approval of the deans and of the University Calendar Committee will be the next step toward giving students the final two days of Dead Week off.

If the proposal is approved, there will be no classes for ISU students on May 2-3, 2002.

“Dead Week will be dead this year, this semester,” Tofilon said. “That is our goal.”