GSB improves campus safety

Nicole Paseka

The Government of the Student Body took a moment at its closing meeting to look back and take stock of what it had accomplished this fall, such as improving campus safety.

The ISU student body faces many obstacles in the future, said GSB President Andy Tofilon, in his State of the Student Body address, and GSB must work tirelessly to help students weather tough times.

“As this nation and state continues to spiral in an economic downturn, less money will be expended for higher education,” he said. “Iowa State and higher education is not a priority in this state, but it must be our objective to make it this state’s highest priority.”

GSB needs to organize outreach to students concerning the budget, Tofilon said. “The budget difficulties and fight with the state Legislature will be our biggest challenge,” Tofilon said. “But I have no doubt that it will also be our biggest triumph.”

GSB has tackled other obstacles this semester in addition to the budget woes in Des Moines, he said. GSB has worked on campus to ensure students a higher level of personal safety and security, Tofilon said.

“Campus is now safer and brighter,” he said. “This senate acted . to improve lighting all around campus, acting with the funding of the largest student improvement to campus lighting in the history of Iowa State.”

GSB has improved campus security in the past seven months, GSB Vice President Charlie Johnson said.

“When we took office, we vowed to make Iowa State a safer place,” he said. “The ground for many new safety measures has been broken, many new lights are up, but we must take many more groundbreaking steps to ensure the safety of this campus.”

Campus will also be safer as a result of the senate endorsing the Department of Public Safety use of Tasers, Tofilon said. “DPS will finally have the tools they need to discharge their duty,” he said.

GSB must take campus safety initiatives further next semester, Tofilon said.

Another goal of GSB for spring semester is to work with student groups to identify problems with the GSB finance process to ensure groups are treated fairly and receive the funds they deserve, Tofilon said.

“We need to take it a step further and consult student groups to make sure all of their concerns are being met,” he said.

Tofilon urged senators to reflect on the semester and to think about what needs to be done in the spring for students.

“Next semester, we must start anew with a sense of duty and determination to work for students,” Tofilon said.