GSB lawsuit withdrawn

Nicole Paseka

After more than two hours of convening behind closed doors Monday night, the Supreme Court of the Government of the Student Body declared a lawsuit filed by the Senate “frivolous,” and issued no opinion on a second lawsuit that was withdrawn.

“It didn’t really go down like anyone thought it was going to this evening,” said Chief Justice Alex Olson after the hearing in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union.

The lawsuit filed by the senate was a response to a previous suit filed by GSB Attorney General Chris Wisher, which charged the Senate with nonfeasance after it voted 19-6-5 Wednesday against seating Steve Skutnik as election commissioner.

Skutnik, who has previous experience with campus elections, was the only applicant who applied for the position.

The GSB Constitution dictates the Senate must appoint an election commissioner by the end of the semester in order to determine the number of senate seats for each college and residence constituency.

Chris Robert, who served as the vice commissioner of elections last year under election commissioner Chris Wisher, may be seated as interim election commissioner after Wisher dropped the suit.

“Both sides won, in a way,” said Tony Luken, LAS. “Both sides, especially the Senate, need to get our act in gear and do our job to get a permanent election commissioner by the end of the semester. It’s our job.”