GSB, faculty senate support free speech zone expansion

Nicole Paseka

The Government of the Student Body voted unanimously last night in favor of a bill expanding the free speech zone across campus.

“I think this bill is a long time in the waiting,” said Andy Walling, RCA.

Several of the senators expressed that President Gregory Geoffroy, who recently drafted changes to the Student Information Handbook to extend the free speech zone throughout campus, listened to students’ concerns regarding the free speech issue.

“We had to put up with a president for 10 years that didn’t listen to student concerns,” said Tony Luken, LAS, referring to former ISU President Martin Jischke. “We finally got a breath of fresh air and can say, `President Geoffroy, we’d like to have free speech on campus.’ He took the time to address it.”

In the past, the only area on campus where students could exercise their First Amendment rights was a section of campus near Parks Library and the Hub.

Luken said students have also held “Free Speech Days” outside of Old RCA to demonstrate the need for freedom of expression on campus.

The senators agreed that extending the free speech zone will allow students to practice their basic constitutional rights and promote a greater exchange of ideas.

“Any expansion of free speech on campus is a very good thing,” said Joe Darr, off-campus.