GSB Election Commissioner appointment still vacant

Nicole Paseka

The Government of the Student Body voted down a proposal to appoint Steve Skutnik election commissioner in a decision some senators say was motivated by a personal vendetta.

Skutnik, a former senator, who served on the GSB Election Commission last year under Commissioner Chris Wisher, was the only student to apply for the position. After Wednesday night’s 19-6-5 vote against him, Skutnik said his ability to do the job never was called into question.

“There were no clear charges set against my qualifications,” said Skutnik, who currently serves as an associate justice on the GSB Supreme Court. “Several senators let personal politics get in the way of their judgment.”

Alex Rodeck, off-campus, was one of six senators who opposed appointing Skutnik as GSB election commissioner. Rodeck said Skutnik was simply not the right candidate for the job.

“I didn’t think he possessed the integrity to be election commissioner,” Rodeck said. “I think he gets himself involved too emotionally. I think [an election commissioner] should be able to set their personal politics aside when they get into that seat.”

Rodeck said he felt the manner Skutnik behaved last year on the election commission foreshadowed the way he would perform if appointed as election commissioner this year.

Although Skutnik was the only candidate seeking the position of election commissioner at this time, Rodeck said, it did not mean he was the best person for the job.

“I think there is somebody better out there,” Rodeck said. “We’d like to find them.”

Jonathon Weaver, another senator who voted against Skutnik’s appointment, declined comment.

Several concerns were brought up regarding Skutnik’s qualifications for the job, said William Tinder, RCA, but most of the concerns were thinly veiled personal attacks.

“Personal attacks have no business on the senate floor,” he said.

Tinder said Skutnik is extremely qualified for the job, as he has been involved in both GSB and Inter-Residence Hall Association elections in the past.

“He’s one of the few people on campus that has been extensively involved in elections the past two years,” Tinder said. “In my opinion, this extensive experience running elections makes him one of the most qualified people for the job.”

Skutnik, senior in physics and Daily columnist, said several senators who voted against him were questioning his integrity on baseless grounds.

“These individuals were being very unprofessional,” he said. “Some of the senators are not acting out of their constituents’ interests. They’re acting out of their own interests.”