Off-campus council needs more representatives

Ryan Brown

The ISU off-campus government is almost half empty, and the council need more representation just to complete its regular business.

Of the 11 council seats and leadership positions in the off-campus government, six of those seats are open. The government – designed much like a state government – consists of a governor, lieutenant governor, treasure and eight council members.

The council is not able to act on proposed legislation because it cannot meet quorum, which is the number of members present to initiate a meeting.

“We are hurting,” said Justin Hillock, off-campus Government of the Student Body senator. “You have to have quorum to call a meeting.”

Every group of students GSB represents has its own constituent councils, such as the different residence areas. The council serves more than 16,000 off-campus students, said Raye Taylor, off-campus GSB senator.

“We need to push for membership,” said Taylor, recently appointed off-campus governor. “Out of the 16,000 off-campus students, there has to be students who are interested in [the off-campus government]. They just don’t know about it.”

The council is the voice for off-campus students and meets with representatives from both the city of Ames and Iowa State, Taylor said. They address concerns that aren’t common for an on-campus ISU student, such as roads, child care and adult programming, she said.

The off-campus council isn’t getting things done for its constituents, because it doesn’t have the positions filled, Hillock said. In the past, the council has bought dollies to help students move in and held programs for off-campus students, he said.

Off-campus students also are involved in clubs or work on campus-wide events such as Veishea, Hillock said.

The council has been working to increase its membership, but finding people is difficult, said Joe Darr, off-campus GSB senator.

“It is hard to find people – it’s hard getting the word out,” he said. “Outreaching to off-campus students is hard, because they aren’t concentrated in one area.”

The council also is looking at how to retain people once they accept a position, Taylor said.

“It is not a major time commitment, but a commitment to fellow off-campus students,” Taylor said.