GSB to vote on organizations’ filing fees

Ryan Brown

The Government of the Student Body Senate will vote on a bill that would allow student organizations to keep their filing fees.

Student organizations currently have to pay a $10 filling fee per member to get GSB funding, said Speaker of the Senate Andrew Kothenbeutel. Half of that $10 goes to GSB as part of criteria dues, the other half goes to the student organization for non-criteria – or personal – expenses, such as social events, he said.

If the bill is passed, all of the $10 will go toward the organizations’ personal expenses, Kothenbeutel said.

“This makes the forms simpler and the process simpler, so that student organizations feel comfortable coming to us for funding,” he said. “This is one step in reforming our finance process.”

In other GSB news, a special program by GSB President Andy Tofilon and Kothenbeutel will address concerns about the commuter bus stop.

GSB leaders meet with ISU administrators to talk about additional costs, Kothenbeutel said. GSB originally allocated $125,000 from its special projects accounts in January 2000, but since then the project has gone over budget, he said.

An additional $50,000 will be allocated from GSB to complete the project on time, Kothenbeutel said.

“We understand the university has a number of projects that benefit students, and we want to finish our commitment,” he said.

Although this isn’t the first time GSB has allocated money to university capital improvements, it was brought to them as an abnormal case, Kothenbeutel said. Once it was decided on that the project would benefit students, GSB agreed to the project, he said.

Today is Meet your Student Government Day. GSB senators will be staffing a booth north of the Campanile, said Emily Brink, public information officer for GSB.

Information will be provided on the tuition increase, and tickets will be sold for the Fall Gala to be held Saturday and cookies will be available, Brink said.

The GSB Senate will meet at 7 tonight in the Pioneer Room of the Memorial Union. The following will be discussed:

General Orders

A bylaw bill to fix the Finance Bylaws (Part 6 of X). By Tinder, Kallaher and others.

A bylaw bill to remove the $10 filing fee student organizations pay when applying for allocations through GSB. By Kothenbeutel, Weaver and others.

A bylaw bill to fix the Finance Bylaws (Part 8 of X). By Tinder, Kothenbeutel and others.

A funding bill to allocate $385 from the Senate Discretionary Account to the Student Environmental Council members attending ECOnference 2001 in Washington, D.C. By Kothenbeutel and Kallaher.

New Business

A funding bill to fund an additional $50,000 for the commuter bus stop. By Darr, Weaver and others.

A bylaw bill fixing the Finance Bylaws (Part 7 of X). By Tinder, Mitchell and others.

A funding bill on special allocations recommendations that all remaining funds in the special allocations account be transferred to the regular allocations account. By Kothenbeutel, Luken and others.

A funding bill to line item transfer $809 from Conference I to a new Conference II for SANKALP. By Kothenbeutel, Darr and others.

A bylaw bill to cut the criteria dues and keep the money in the student organizations’ pockets, starting Dec. 1. By Luken, Medanic and others.

A funding bill to send the ISU Entrepreneurs Club to the Fall 2001 CEO Annual Conference in Chicago, Ill. By Kallaher and Kothenbeutel.