GSB collects money for relief fund

Ryan Brown

The ISU Disaster Relief Fund, sponsored by the Government of the Student Body, has raised $9,327.51 – through Wednesday from donation boxes on campus and a GSB bill.

The money will be donated to the American Red Cross to aid victims of the terrorist attacks and their families in New York City and Washington, D.C.

GSB passed a funding bill Wednesday that will donate $4,000. The original amount was $2,000, but when the bill came before the Senate, Sen. Andy Walling, RCA, said there wasn’t any better way to show the student’s support than this bill.

“I think $2,000 is a nice gesture, but more is needed,” he said.

The second reading of the bill was waived.

“We’re really doing well, and I am amazed at how caring and compassionate the Iowa State community is. We have shown that we really care,” said Andy Tofilon, GSB president. “Iowa State has really come together to help people we really don’t know, but they are all Americans just like us.”

Donations are still being accepted, he said. Money has yet to be collected from the residence hall dining centers, house floors, the greek community and campus organizations, he said.

The deadline for the fund will be Sept. 26, but a check will be given to the American Red Cross within the next few days, Tofilon said.

Students from all over campus have chipped in to help the cause. Erin Coffelt, freshman in psychology, said she wanted to help out those involved and was glad when GSB started its drive.

“It is for a really good cause,” she said. “It isn’t bad for people to donate a dollar – it isn’t asking too much. If everyone donated a dollar, it would be a lot of money, since we have such a large student body.”

Some financially strapped students were saying they couldn’t give a dollar, but others said it was going for a good cause and they wanted to help, Coffelt said.

“I felt bad – I wanted to give more,” she said. “Wish there was more I could do.”

Several students approached GSB seeking ways in which they could help, Tofilon said. On Sunday, GSB announced they were setting up the disaster relief fund.

“We are very grateful to all Iowa State community members and feel Iowa State is making a difference,” Tofilon said. “Even though we might feel helpless, we can make a difference – and we are.”