Legislature warns of more budget cuts

Jacque Sondgeroth

It’s only the first day of the state Legislature’s second session, and already lawmakers are warning state agencies about more budget cuts.

For student leaders, still disappointed after the recent tuition hikes, that means more concerns about funding for Iowa State.

Rep. Jane Greimann, D-Ames, said revenue shortfalls will affect everything that happens on the House and Senate floors this session.

“While the budget situation is not a crisis, it is something that needs managed,” she said. “No decisions are going to be made without careful consultation with the regent schools.”

Rep. Barbara Finch, R-Ames, said decisions about tuition and quality of education at state schools should be made by the regents.

“Legislation doesn’t cut teachers,” Finch said. “The Board of Regents has priorities and makes decisions about how to spend state money.”

Finch said lawmakers recognize that students are concerned about the future funding of Iowa State. With the budget crunch, she said, officials are looking closely at the budgets to see where they can make cuts without sacrificing services.

The Government of the Student Body still plans to work with regents, administrators and other student governments to get more funding for Iowa State and the other regent universities, said Andy Tofilon, GSB president.

“I don’t see Democrats or Republicans taking up the cause of higher education, and that is very disheartening,” Tofilon said. “Higher education institutions are the lifeblood of Iowa, and when we support them, we are supporting Iowa.”

Angie Darrah, chairwoman of the ISU College Republicans, said she doesn’t have confidence in the Iowa Legislature’s ability to make decisions that positively affect Iowa State.

“If they understood the negative impact the tuition hikes had on so many students, they wouldn’t have imposed them,” said Darrah, senior in management information systems.

Greimann would like to see the driving while intoxicated bill, which would lower the alcohol tolerance level to .01 from the current .08, passed, she said.

“Not only would passing this bill mean saving lives, but it also means more federal money for the state,” Greimann said.

Finch said she met with local schools this summer, and seven school districts in Story County are in favor of a local-option sales-tax bill that would generate money for school infrastructure and tax relief.

The budget is probably the most partisan issue to be addressed, Finch said. Otherwise, the Legislature has few strong divisions.

“It’s part of our job to negotiate each side,” Finch said. “But in the end, we compromise.”

Greimann encourages students to contact the representatives and senators from their hometowns to inform them of the issues concerning them.

Tofilon said GSB will keep in contact with lawmakers and look out for the interests of students.

“I hope that the coming session shows a change in support for higher education,” he said. “But if anti-student legislation is brought up, GSB will be on the Hill the next day making sure it doesn’t get passed.”